Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tekmore
Level 7

Roku Express Device periodically loses sound while streaming.

Roku Express device periodiaclly loses sounds while streaming.  Restart is the fix. Connected via HDMI. Audi is set to HDMI (PCM-Stereo), have also tried audio detect etc without any success.  Audio Volume is set to (High), Audio Mode (Stereo).  Before I purchase a new Roku device is there anything else to set or is this a HDMI cable issue?  Seems highly unlikely as the sound would not work for extended periods of time with a bad HDMI cable etc.  

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
Pwim
Level 7

Re: Roku Express Device periodically loses sound while streaming.

I’m having the same problem, and I have two different Roku devices. Both of them have been losing sound and I have to unplug them and replug them in order to get the sound to come back. It’s not my HDMI cables, and it’s not my TV. What is going on with Roku!

0 Kudos
CanonSniper
Level 7

Re: Roku Express Device periodically loses sound while streaming.

I have the same issue with my Roku express. In addition to the sound completely going out, the sound on mine may get "choppy" also. Restarting the Roku does indeed fix either scenario, which I believe is ultimately the same issue.

*Note: if you don't want to physically unplug your Roku device to reset it, you can navigate to Home-> Settings (up arrow once then OK)-> System (up arrow once then OK)-> System restart (up arrow 4 times then OK)-> Restart (OK).

I believe the issue lies with the device's processing abilities. It may be that some sound information it's attempting to process isn't read correctly and throws off how the sound is processed, or possibly that the processor responsible for processing sound gets too hot, or that a small portion of the sound information is corrupted during the streaming process such that some bad info goes through the sound processing of the Roku express and the corrupted info somehow throws off all sound processing rather than being a momentary problem. I think this last one is the most likely, which would mean that it's not really a problem with the Roku express as far as hardware goes, and that it works fine so long as the data transmitted to it isn't damaged, and that it simply handles corrupted sound data poorly (most likely at the firmware level, though it's possible that the hardware is designed such that it's an innate problem with how the Roku express handles bad sound data).

0 Kudos