Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmbm
Level 8

Roku 3 screen goes blank periodically

Well this Roku 3 worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now picture disappears momentarily, black screen, and then reappears. Happens several times per hour. I replaced the hdmi cable  but not the ethernet cable. Just did a factory reset. 
Appreciate any help.
Thanks

Labels (1)
12 Replies
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3 screen goes blank periodically

The Roku 3 is getting old (regardless of when you bought it, the model is at least 4 years old), and sometimes they just decide they're through. Your issue sounds like an HDMI connection problem. You're replaced the cable, so that's one item off the checklist. Same with the factory reset. My suggestion is to try a different HDMI port on your TV (if there is one). If you only have one, try a different TV. If it still goes blank, then it's time for a replacement. If it's fine in a different port or a different TV, then your TV is the problem. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bmbm
Level 8

I switched HDMI ports with the HTPC and same condition so must be the Roku. Thanks for the tip. Better than having a bad hdmi port on the TV!

A little disappointed with it not lasting longer, can't remember when I bought it but think it was early 2016 at Frys. Because of that I am considering the latest Firestick 4k or maybe the Fire Cube (new Cube accepting orders beginning Oct 10) if a good enough sale came along as they now have browsers available which could be useful. No hurry as the htpc covers my Amazon, Mubi, YouTube and other needs. I sure enjoyed using the Roku as it worked well and was easy to use. I just checked out the new Roku Ultra and it has a few new features but no browser.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Out of curiosity, have you replaced the HDMI cable you are using a second time, using a different brand/manufacturer? Does this issue occur when you are viewing the Roku Home screen, while watching any/all streaming channels, or just a specific streaming channel(s)? 

Feel free to send me a private message with more details, and I'd be happy to help take a closer look or see what other options we can provide. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
bmbm
Level 8

I may have originally connected a working hdmi from the htpc to the Roku but it would have been the same Monoprice cable as I replaced them all at the same time a couple of months before the problem started. I will look into that and try one of the old cables that was replaced. Also this happens on all the channels I usually watch. Thanks.

0 Kudos
malcom128
Level 7

I have the same issue. I only use the Roku 3 to watch Netflix and Amazon prime. The problem occurs on Netflix, but not Prime, so I don't think it is a cable or connector problem. Thanks!

0 Kudos
mlj9
Level 7

I have the same problem with my Roku 3.  Whatever it's showing -- streaming any channel or displaying a screen in Roku settings -- after precisely 10 minutes of being on, the screen goes to the blank HDMI screen, stays there for 1 minute, then resumes.  if a streaming show is resumed, it will pick up exactly 1 minute beyond where it cut out.  rebooting didn't help.  It's not an ISP problem since any show will stream just fine on my iPad.  Nor is it the TV, since antenna broadcasts of shows are received and play just fine.

Clearly, there's some sort of timer controlled defect.  But I can't figure out what.

0 Kudos
subwilms
Level 8

Hi @atc98092 

To do this, changing the display (Settings ---> Video) on the Roku?

omegle   chatrandom

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@subwilms not certain exactly what procedure you were asking about. If you try it on another TV and it works, then I would change the video setting from Auto to the resolution that is working. Most likely it might be 720p. Some early HDTVs did not support 1080p, only 1080i, which Roku players do not support. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dfun470
Level 9

I'm going to bust into this discussion because my issue is similar and you guys seem knowledgeable.

I get a short duration blank screen with the video format displayed in the Upper left corner of my Samsung 10 yo Tv from my Roku Premier.

This happens at the program change like starting an ad.  It looks to me as though the stream format is changing either resolution or frame rate and the Tv is buffering to prepare to start the new display mode.  Possible?  Fixable?  I posted a screen photo of this -which only lasts a second or less- and will begin logging to see when and where it is happening.  Mostly, I watch YouTube Tv, so that is where I see it...pretty sure.  My first thing will be to see if it occurs on Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBOMax..

Thanks.Samsung blank screen at start of stream changes (mostly ads)Samsung blank screen at start of stream changes (mostly ads)

0 Kudos