Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmbm
Level 7

Roku 3 screen goes blank periodically

Well this Roku 3 worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now picture disappears momentarily, black screen, and then reappears. Happens several times per hour. I replaced the hdmi cable  but not the ethernet cable. Just did a factory reset. 
Appreciate any help.
Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku 3 screen goes blank periodically

The Roku 3 is getting old (regardless of when you bought it, the model is at least 4 years old), and sometimes they just decide they're through. Your issue sounds like an HDMI connection problem. You're replaced the cable, so that's one item off the checklist. Same with the factory reset. My suggestion is to try a different HDMI port on your TV (if there is one). If you only have one, try a different TV. If it still goes blank, then it's time for a replacement. If it's fine in a different port or a different TV, then your TV is the problem. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bmbm
Level 7

I switched HDMI ports with the HTPC and same condition so must be the Roku. Thanks for the tip. Better than having a bad hdmi port on the TV!

A little disappointed with it not lasting longer, can't remember when I bought it but think it was early 2016 at Frys. Because of that I am considering the latest Firestick 4k or maybe the Fire Cube (new Cube accepting orders beginning Oct 10) if a good enough sale came along as they now have browsers available which could be useful. No hurry as the htpc covers my Amazon, Mubi, YouTube and other needs. I sure enjoyed using the Roku as it worked well and was easy to use. I just checked out the new Roku Ultra and it has a few new features but no browser.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Out of curiosity, have you replaced the HDMI cable you are using a second time, using a different brand/manufacturer? Does this issue occur when you are viewing the Roku Home screen, while watching any/all streaming channels, or just a specific streaming channel(s)? 

Feel free to send me a private message with more details, and I'd be happy to help take a closer look or see what other options we can provide. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
bmbm
Level 7

I may have originally connected a working hdmi from the htpc to the Roku but it would have been the same Monoprice cable as I replaced them all at the same time a couple of months before the problem started. I will look into that and try one of the old cables that was replaced. Also this happens on all the channels I usually watch. Thanks.

0 Kudos