Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firmstephs
Level 7

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution
I have a 65" Roku TV having the same issue, but now, there's a constant transparent black line down the middle. It's only 2 years old. Other than that it's alright.The model is an TCL brand. Not comfortable giving the serial number on here, but I can provide it if needed in a direct message.
What else can I do? I've tried factory resetting, changing the ports everything..(it's on all ports) Only thing we have hooked up is our cable (Uverse), Switch and Xbox.. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you..
0 Kudos
Tinner666
Level 7

Jump to solution
This afternoon, the screen suddenly started 'blinking' a thick black line. Model # 3900X.New unit from Walmart, less than 1 month old.
0 Kudos
Natey2
Level 7

Jump to solution
Screen flashing/flickering after update to OS v9.0
(Device Model 3800X)

Had to reset the device for it to stop flickering, daily.
The problem was the free HDMI extender sent to me by Roku.
After removing it, the flashing stopped and I no longer need to reset the device.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
"Natey2" wrote:
Screen flashing/flickering after update to OS v9.0
(Device Model 3800X)

Had to reset the device for it to stop flickering, daily.
The problem was the free HDMI extender sent to me by Roku.
After removing it, the flashing stopped and I no longer need to reset the device.

Thanks for the info, here. Did you try moving the HDMI extender and connected device to another HDMI port on the TV to see if that clears up the issue? Have you also tried connecting the extender/device to another TV to see if the same result occurs? If you can still reproduce the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your device serial number, the make/model of your TV, and more details about the channel/content you are watching when the issue occurs.
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Joeplaya
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have a Roku Premiere 3920RW OS9 build 4083-91 (purchased Dec 2018). I have the flickering issue happening with my setup though I find it very interesting/strange how other persons describe the actual issue. To be quite frank and very specific, I have ruled out that this issue has nothing to do with the tv/display make/model or type of HDMI cable (well loosely), it has to do with the display auto detection of the Roku player itself and whatever change was made in it's implementation in the update OS v9. The flickering issue only occurs when the tv/display is turned off and then on again (does not matter the interval between turning off/on and also that the Roku remains on); it suddenly starts to flicker, sometimes appearing like 'static' on the screen. To resolve this I have to go into the Roku's display settings and change 1080p to 720p or vise/versa and the issue is resolved, or I simply power cycle the Roku and the issue goes away. So, I believe the issue is not with the tv/display or even HDMI cable (I used various cables and switched HDMI ports) as some may allude to; the Roku units simply need an update to fix this issue. I hope this post is very clear and can be supported by other users and Roku's technical team can finally find a solution to this problem.. A Firestick or Android box looking way more appealing right now..
0 Kudos
TCLTV95060
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have the same issue with my TCL 49S405 running Roku TV 7127X, version 8.2.0 build 4170-30. My issue is when I run a refresh rate of 60hz I get the fluttering and my sound is only garbled crackling. If I switch down to 30hz it's no problem. I'm using HDMI 2.0 and I just bought this TV instead of the Toshiba 50" 4K I got for Christmas. I chose the Toshiba because it had fire tv versus roku. I've had nothing but problems with Roku in the past and here we go again. This is my 4th TV in the last 30 days because I was trying to stay with Fire TV. After purchasing and returning every model because of poor screen performance I was FORCED to go with roku because TCL only ships with Roku. It's worth noting that all three prior TV's ran fine at 60hz.

Also, I have read multiple posts  online at reddit and other sites where roku is aware of this issue with the recent build but haven't corrected it The reason I went to the trouble to register and reply to this forum is because I saw a Roku rep asking questions to waste our time ande spin our wheels versus acknowledging the error they already know about and correcting ti. I'm going to have to return this TV even though TCL has the best picture by far in the under $500 4k market.

I dealt with roku and their limitations when they first came out trying to compete against the apple tv. They were flawed then and they are flawed now in design, execution, and customer service.
Macbook Pro to TCL 49S405 Roku TV version 8.2.0 (build 4170-30). 4K at 60hz
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
"TCLTV95060" wrote:
I have the same issue with my TCL 49S405 running Roku TV 7127X, version 8.2.0 build 4170-30. My issue is when I run a refresh rate of 60hz I get the fluttering and my sound is only garbled crackling. If I switch down to 30hz it's no problem. I'm using HDMI 2.0 and I just bought this TV instead of the Toshiba 50" 4K I got for Christmas. I chose the Toshiba because it had fire tv versus roku. I've had nothing but problems with Roku in the past and here we go again. This is my 4th TV in the last 30 days because I was trying to stay with Fire TV. After purchasing and returning every model because of poor screen performance I was FORCED to go with roku because TCL only ships with Roku. It's worth noting that all three prior TV's ran fine at 60hz.

Also, I have read multiple posts  online at reddit and other sites where roku is aware of this issue with the recent build but haven't corrected it The reason I went to the trouble to register and reply to this forum is because I saw a Roku rep asking questions to waste our time ande spin our wheels versus acknowledging the error they already know about and correcting ti. I'm going to have to return this TV even though TCL has the best picture by far in the under $500 4k market.

I dealt with roku and their limitations when they first came out trying to compete against the apple tv. They were flawed then and they are flawed now in design, execution, and customer service.

Thanks for getting in touch. Apologies for any confusion here! Roku TVs and Roku player devices run slightly different versions of Roku OS, and this type of issue would not be quite the same between the two different types of devices. 

In relation to the Roku TV issue you mentioned, please PM me with your Roku TV serial number from Settings>System>About and the version of Roku OS your device is running. 

For anyone else running into the flickering issue, please also feel free to PM with specific details about what you see this issue occurring, what channel you are watching when the issue occurs, along with your device serial number and the version of Roku OS you have installed from Settings>System>About. We are working on investigating both of these issue reports, and will provide further updates as we have them. 

Thanks again for keeping us posted!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
BubbaNag
Level 7

Jump to solution
"BubbaNag" wrote:
I have a Roku 3, 4200X and the December 16, 2017 update "broke" 1080p playback for me too ... the video flickers and flashes while the audio cuts in and out on one of my three Panasonic plasmas. Forcing 720p restores stable audio and video. The updated Roku fails on my 2011 TC-P65VT30 but works fine on both my 2009 TC-P42G15 and my 2012 TC-P50ST50.

I have been getting diagnostic and troubleshooting help from Roku Support. They have been responsive but have failed to resolve or replicate this issue. Please, if you're experiencing this, reach out and give them your details...they clearly need more cases to identify the issue.

Here are all the troubleshooting things they had me try: Restart. Power off (disconnect plug for 60 seconds) and restart. Reseat HDMI cable. Change HDMI cable. Change HDMI port. Delete an affected channel and restart. Delete lots of channels and restart. (I deleted one and then 21 leaving 6 restarting in between the 1 and 21. Both of these despite seeing the flickering on the Roku home page and menus.) Set the theme to default and restart.

Nothing has worked. Hope enough of us will contact them so they can identify the issue and get a fix in the queue!

Happy (low resolution) Holidays!

The December 12, 2018 update has changed the behavior of the Auto/1080p selection on my Roku 3, 4200X which is connected to my 2011 TC-P65VT30: Instead of flickering, the TV display is simply black. No image shows at all. I can still only watch 720p output. Sigh.
0 Kudos
berty6294
Level 7

Jump to solution
Just bought a Roku Ultra for my bedroom tv so I don't have to have both my Xbox and Comcast boxes on the dresser. My problem is the same as those above, and all I'm trying to do is watch in 1080p. Random black screening on me every couple minutes. I've tried all the temporary fixes in all the threads I've been reading with no luck. I refuse to use my Roku in 720p to solve this issue. I don't subscribe to Full HD content and buy a Full HD box to have to downgrade to 720p. I've tried new cables, each port, every combination of turning one thing off and the other on, I've tried every setting in the device, I can't get this issue resolved. Getting very frustrated because I really like the product, I just want it to work. Hoping for guidance or resolutions!
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
@berty6294 

In Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings, go to 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' and make sure this is 'Disabled'. This can cause the behavior you described in some circumstances, and should not typically be enabled for most use-cases. 

If the issue persists, or the setting is already disabled, I'd also recommend swapping out your HDMI cable and/or HDMI port in use on the TV to see if this helps clear up the issue. 

Feel free to PM me with more details if you need more help from there!

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos