Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
absor
Level 7

ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

my ROKU device is now flickering on the video.  worked fine this morning, but this afternoon it is doing this.  I have unplugged the power and hdmi to it,I have tried other hdmi ports, nothing works.  I have confirmed that the HDMI ports are functional with my OPPO (which doesnt do updating).  I think this may be an update issue and the latest update tells the ROKU not to like my TVs HDMI ports.  Any ideas on how to fix this, other than buying a brand new one.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
75 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Does your Roku plug into your "Oppo?" I assume by Oppo you mean some sort of receiver? Have you tried bypassing the receiver to see if plugging into the TV directly fixes the issue? If not, try that first.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
absor
Level 7

In desperation, I did a factory reset and forced the device to a 720p interface.  for some reason 1080p would not work, it would be all static and flickering.  This is interesting because my TV is 1080p.  Lets hope another update doesn't cause it to revert back to 1080p and flickering.
0 Kudos
absor
Level 7

OPPO is a universal DVD player made in USA.  I highly recommend it over any other name brand (https://www.oppodigital.com/).  The ROKU does plug into the TV directly.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Oppo is actually a brand, not a thing, which confused me.

Not sure why 1080p isn't working for you without flickering..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
gold_leader
Level 7

Mine are both doing the same thing. Both of my Roku players got the 8.0 OS update today at about 1:30pm CST. After the update both of them are doing the exact same thing. No matter if I launch an app or if it’s just idle on the home screen every few seconds/minutes the screen will flash black and then resume picture. Nothing crazy with my AV setup just standard 1080p. Tried the normal break fix type stuff but this looks to be a bug with their 8.0 release that hit my players today. Bypassed all my AV equipment in the process and just ran directly to the TV with the same results. This would be the first update that I’ve had an issue with since I bought my Rokus.
0 Kudos
tuna33
Level 7

Off topic, but now I have to ask:  absor, do you also have the OPPO Sonica DAC:  https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/sonica-dac-Features.aspx
If so, any regrets?
0 Kudos
lotts02
Level 7

I' am having the same issue after Roku pushed an auto update early AM ET on Dec 16th.   My Roku was fine on the 15th, but the morning of the 16th the flashing / flickering started with degraded picture quality.  

Good to know there are others having the issue and hopefully it will get corrected asap.

Lotts02
0 Kudos
lotts02
Level 7

I reset my Display setting to match my TV (720p), and appears to have corrected the problem.   I will let you know if it re-occurs. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"absor" wrote:
In desperation, I did a factory reset and forced the device to a 720p interface.  for some reason 1080p would not work, it would be all static and flickering.  This is interesting because my TV is 1080p.  Lets hope another update doesn't cause it to revert back to 1080p and flickering.

Are you certain your TV supports 1080P? Some earlier 1080 TVs would only suport 1080i, and not every Roku will do 1080i. That could be why your TV looks OK at 720. The hotel I've been staying in for the last four months have 720 TV sets, but my Roku Stick identified it as 1080. About 6 months ago another hotel also had 720 sets, and the Roku would not auto-set itself to 720, so I couldn't use it at all. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos