Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jthom238
Level 7

OLD VCR HOOK UP

I have an older vcr/dvr player that only has the three rca plugs for output.

I bought a RCA to HDMI adapter.  But when i plug in to the HDMI port on the ROKU tv it does see the connection...

What is required??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: OLD VCR HOOK UP

Are you sure you got the right kind of adapter?  Some go HDMI->RCA and some go RCA->HDMI.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

You sure the Roku tv doesn't have a 3.5 mm jack labelled AV? For use with breakout cable like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Samsung-Component-Adapter-Signal/dp/B08B43GHR6/ref=asc_df_B08B43G...

Edmund
0 Kudos
Katzja
Level 7

My older VCR is also not working with the TCL Roku TV.  I have a cable with the 3 components at one end and the AV (to go in AV connection) at the other end.  I robbed it off an older Roku box I have.  But it is not working.  Sound is ok with a buzz added and picture is no good.  Any ideas of what I should do?  Its a new TV.  Cable was working fine yesterday (on different TV hooked to an old Roku Box).  Is there something wrong with the TV?

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Those cables aren't necessarily interchangeable.  Didn't the TV come with a cable?  You can try mixing and matching the colored connectors and see if you ever get a picture.

0 Kudos
Katzja
Level 7

The TV did not come with a cable. Mixing the output of the RCA end did not change anything.  Thank you for your advice that the cable I have may be mono directional. Since I had been successfully using it for an AV to RCA application but now it does not work for RCA to AV, likely the cable does not do what I am trying to force it to do.  Which is a better scenario than a brand new TV's AV input not working.  I can get a RCA to AV adaptor from Amazon for $7 or I can even get a RCA to HDMI cable for $11 and up.  However, I think I will just move this old VCR of mine to a digital TV I have that has the 3 RCA inputs.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Good plan!  You should note that those simple RCA-to-HDMI cables only work in a very specific situation - one that I've never seen.  You need a converter that's a little box and has a power supply.

You might want to try this AV adapter that claims to work with TCL TVs:
https://www.amazon.com/Video-Component-Adapter-Cable-Replacement/dp/B08B81QV6V

If you look at the pinout for that adapter it looks a little non-standard.  Ground is usually one of the end two conductors.  I don't know how handy you are or if you have an Ohmmeter, but you could check the adapter you have to see if it matches that one.

0 Kudos