Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Hawkeye59
Level 7

No Sound from RoKu Streaming Stick+ Through Soundbar

Greetings, al!

I have the  following configuration:

*Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

*Sony XBR65X930E TV

*Sony HT-Z9F Soundbar

The Soundbar has 2 HDMI IN ports and those are connected to the Blu-ray  player and the Xfinity cable-box, respectively. The Soundbar is in turn connected to the TV with HDMI/eARC.  From everything I have read on the subject, the best connection set up for my new Roku Streaming Stick + would be to plug the player directly into an available HDMI slot of the TV that meets certain specs. In my case, that input is HDMI 1 of the TV.

My research of the matter led me to believe that under the forgoing configuration, the audio portion of all Roku content would be emitted through the Soundbar.  It’s not happening.  In fact, in contrast to the Fire TV stick I tried previously, which specifically detected the Soundbar through its setup, there is no indication that the Roku is “aware” of the Soundbar at all.  I’ve run though the Roku setup twice.  What am I doing wrong?

Many TIA

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: No Sound from RoKu Streaming Stick+ Through Soundbar

Are you hearing the initial Roku boot sounds, and the sounds when you move through the menus? Is there just no audio when playing a video from an online source? If so, your soundbar doesn't support Dolby Digital+, and it can't play the sound. No current Roku is capable of converting DD+ to DD. Only the original Ultra (model 4640) has such an encoder. Unfortunately, you need something that can play DD+. You might try changing the audio setting to Stereo, which "might" change the audio to 2 channel PCM, which your soundbar should support. But I can't say for sure the Stick+ will do that.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hawkeye59
Level 7

Re: No Sound from RoKu Streaming Stick+ Through Soundbar

Thanks so much for your reply.  No, I am not getting any sounds - not the boot sound, or menu sounds (as they are called in the settings).  And the Sony Soundbar does support Dolby Digital Plus, as well as many other formats.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: No Sound from Roku Streaming Stick+ Through Soundbar

@Hawkeye59 wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply.  No, I am not getting any sounds - not the boot sound, or menu sounds (as they are called in the settings).  And the Sony Soundbar does support Dolby Digital Plus, as well as many other formats.

If you aren't even getting the boot sounds, then either the Roku is defective (certainly a possibility) or the soundbar (also possible, but less likely). Try connecting the Roku directly to the TV and see if you at least get the boot sounds. Also try connecting something else into the soundbar in place of the Roku, if you have something on hand. We are merely attempting to isolate where this problem is occurring. If there's sound connected directly to the TV, then the problem must lie with the soundbar in some way. Hopefully just a setting to figure out. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hawkeye59
Level 7

Thanks so much for you reply.  The Roku is already plugged directly into the TV, not the Soundbar..  No sound.  To drill down on this issue, let’s  assume for the moment that none of the devices is defective. Does the mere fact that the Roku is plugged directly into a suitable HDMI port in the TV, which is in turn connected to the SB by ARC, mean that the sound of the Roku will AUTOMATICALYY be passed on by the TV to the speakers of the SB?

The reason I am focused on t this issue is that the best comparison I can make is when I tried the Amazon fire TV cube a few months ago  The setup of the components was the same. I\m pretty sure that I plugged that streaming device into the same TV HDMI port.  It worked perfectly as far as sound and vision of the Cube content being carried to the TV and the  SB respectively (I returned the Cube because of the number of streaming apps they had, including some glaring omission), while being twice the price of the Roku.

A I say, the Amazon setup process specifically recognized that it was joining a system that included a certain model TV and a specific model of SB.  The Roku process only tried to give the remote the power to control the power of the TV (which worked) and its volume (which didn’t work).  Again, the Roku never seemed to notice there was a SB in the mix.  Is this the norm for installing the Roku?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@Hawkeye59 wrote:

Thanks so much for you reply.  The Roku is already plugged directly into the TV, not the Soundbar..  No sound.  To drill down on this issue, let’s  assume for the moment that none of the devices is defective. Does the mere fact that the Roku is plugged directly into a suitable HDMI port in the TV, which is in turn connected to the SB by ARC, mean that the sound of the Roku will AUTOMATICALLY be passed on by the TV to the speakers of the SB?

A I say, the Amazon setup process specifically recognized that it was joining a system that included a certain model TV and a specific model of SB.  The Roku process only tried to give the remote the power to control the power of the TV (which worked) and its volume (which didn’t work).  Again, the Roku never seemed to notice there was a SB in the mix.  Is this the norm for installing the Roku?

Yes, your configuration should be passing the Roku audio via ARC to the soundbar. I am assuming the TV audio is working correctly in that it's playing via the soundbar without issue.

The only way the Roku remote would control the soundbar audio is if it supported CEC. The latest Roku remotes that offer power and volume buttons only control a TV via IR, but will control other devices (AVRs and soundbars) via CEC. 

As a test, could you disconnect the ARC connection and see if the Roku audio will play via the TV speakers? If you still get nothing, then I suspect a Roku device failure. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hawkeye59
Level 7

Thanks again for your help! Per your suggestion, I disconnected ARC and changed the setting in the TV from external speaker to TV speaker.  All sounds from Roku come through, from menu sounds to streaming content.

Now this teaches us what?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@Hawkeye59 wrote:

Thanks again for your help! Per your suggestion, I disconnected ARC and changed the setting in the TV from external speaker to TV speaker.  All sounds from Roku come through, from menu sounds to streaming content.

Now this teaches us what?

Well, we know the Roku is working correctly. So the question is why the audio isn't being passed by the TV to the soundbar. My next step would be to try different audio settings in the TV. But I have no idea what might be available to you, so experimentation would be the next step.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hawkeye59
Level 7

Man I have been through every setting on the TV and Soundbar, experimenting with toggling the settings off and on, and nothing seems to make a difference.  The sound bar works like a gem for the 2 devices directly plugged into it (cable box and blu-ray player).  The Roku plays content as long as the tv speaker is set to on, but if it is set to "external audio system", the Roku goes silent.  The Amazon Fire TV Cube had no problem handling this.

Some wild guesses on my part now - would it make any sense to plug the Roku into one of the 2 ports of the Soundbar? I would have to request an extender from Rooku to make that possible.  And is there any reason to add a digital optical cable from the TV to the soundbar??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@Hawkeye59 wrote:

Some wild guesses on my part now - would it make any sense to plug the Roku into one of the 2 ports of the Soundbar? I would have to request an extender from Roku to make that possible.  And is there any reason to add a digital optical cable from the TV to the soundbar??

Absolutely worth trying an HDMI connection directly to the soundbar. Since your TV appears to be working correctly with everything else via ARC, the optical likely wouldn't make any difference. But, stranger things have happened. When I first got my Samsung JU7100, I had all sorts of problems with ARC, although it was all or nothing. Since I've always used an AVR with HDMI ports, I haven't had anything connected directly to the TV in many years. 

Dan
0 Kudos