Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

No Signal in middle of boot-up.

It has recently happened to my Roku Stick, and now the brand new Premiere: When powering up the Roku unit, the dancing Roku logo displays for about 5 seconds, however, then the screen goes blank and the TV shows a 'No Signal' bar. Using HDMI input and tried both plugging into surge protector (with UPS battery back-up) and plugging into wall receptacle. Rebooting the Roku does the same thing. Cannot get into any Roku menu. Rokku unit is 12 feet from WiFi router (no obstructions between tx and rx.

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: No Signal in middle of boot-up.

Addendum. I attached the Premiere to another TV and it worked fine... so I set the WiFi network settings and did a software update. I then re-attached the Roku to my original (LG) TV and the same results... 'No Signal' after 5 seconds of Roku boot-up. The important thing is that I'm getting a great picture during the dancing Roku logo for about 5 seconds before the screen goes blank and displays the 'No Signal' message, So I KNOW that the TV is receiving video (and audio) through the HDMI from the Premiere.

I really need a guru to help me on this, because Roku support is very poor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

What is the model number of the original TV? For whatever reason, the TV is not accepting the video output of the Roku. You have confirmed there's no issue with the Roku itself. So it's something with the TV.

The boot logo is standard def, which any TV will accept. But then the Roku Premiere will switch to either 720p, 1080p or 2160p. There are some early HDMI equipped TVs that only accept 540i or 1080i via HDMI. And your Roku will not output 1080i or anything below 720p (except for the initial boot logo). 

If we can find an online manual for your TV, we can then determine what signals it will accept, and perhaps a required setting change in the TV menu.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

The model is the 24LJ4540The model is the 24LJ4540

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Thanks for that. This appears to be an older set, as I see it only supports HDMI 1.3. That right there might be the problem, as Roku players have HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 support, and might not be backwards compatible with 1.3. That TV doesn't seem to be that old, as the manual I found online says 2018. I don't know enough about those different resolution and refresh rates to know if it supports 1080p, but I do see that it's rated as a 720p set. So it should work with any Roku player. But it's possible that the Auto setting isn't getting accurate information from the TV about what it can accept.

Please try this. Take it back to the TV it worked on, and manually set the video output to 720p. Then take it back to the LG and see if it will retain that setting. In theory, that should work. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Was out of town for a couple of days...

I set both the Premiere and and older Roku Stick to 720p. They work on the smaller set in another room, but the LG in my office... no go. still, 'No Signal'. You mentioned that the Rokus boot up in a format that TVs can read/use. Why can't I set THAT display format for my regular viewing. The picture during boot up looks great as is, and wqe know that format works on the LG without a problem.  

PS: The Stick WAS working on the LG, then stopped. That's why I bought the Premiere. -Les-

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@KeyWestLes wrote:

You mentioned that the Rokus boot up in a format that TVs can read/use. Why can't I set THAT display format for my regular viewing.

Unfortunately, no current Roku player (or any other streaming device) supports that low of a resolution. At bootup it's running at standard definition, although I don't know exactly what it is. It might be 480i or 525i, or even 480p. But the Roku at that resolution would likely look pretty bad. There were older Roku players that supported SD, but the last available model was the Express+ (3910), and it's been discontinued for about a year. The latest Express+ (3931) no longer supports standard definition. 

Still, if I remember the specs I looked up, your LG should accept 720p, and your Roku should support that. But as I said, it might be the fact that TV only has HDMI 1.3 inputs. It doesn't appear that 1.4 is backwards compatible unless the device (in this case the Roku) specifically adds support. I can't find any specs specifically about it, but my guess is it isn't backwards compatible. 

Dan
0 Kudos