Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skeet23
Level 7

New Sony OLED Cannot Display 4K HDR

My Setup:

• Sony A8H OLED TV
  • Roku Ultra 2020
  • Roofull Premium HDMI Switch

Apologies if a similar issue has been posted before.

I upgraded to Ultra 2020 after purchasing an OLED TV for the Dolby Vision support. When my Roku arrived I realized my old HDMI switch didn't support resolution beyond 1080p, so I replaced it with Roofull.

However, when I change the resolution setting, Roku only displays a picture for 4K even though it has a "check" for 4K HDR support. When I select 4K HDR from settings menu, the screen goes black.

I am honestly not sure if the problem is in the Roku settings or the Roofull switch settings. 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Sony OLED Cannot Display 4K HDR

It's probably the Roofull. Just because it is designed for passing 4K, or even HDR, passing Dolby Vision requires specific hardware. My AVR supports passing HDR and HLG, but will not pass DV. You could test it by connecting the Roku directly to the TV, bypassing any external connections. 

Also, make sure you've enabled the proper setting on the TV's HDMI ports. Samsung calls it UHD Color, while other brands use different terms. Basically it's a setting to ensure the HDMI port will pass a full bandwidth 4K/HDR video stream. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
skeet23
Level 7

@atc98092 Thanks for the reply!

I hooked the Roku directly to the TV and sure enough HDR was supported.

Would you (or the community) have any switch recommendations that support HDR since I'll need to replace this?

Also, is there any chance the HDMI cables may be an issue? Clearly the one from the Roku to the switch is fine (since that is the one I plugged directly into the TV), but there are about 3 others - 2 of which are behind a wall. 

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@skeet23 wrote:

@atc98092 Thanks for the reply!

I hooked the Roku directly to the TV and sure enough HDR was supported.

Would you (or the community) have any switch recommendations that support HDR since I'll need to replace this?

Also, is there any chance the HDMI cables may be an issue? Clearly the one from the Roku to the switch is fine (since that is the one I plugged directly into the TV), but there are about 3 others - 2 of which are behind a wall. 

Thanks all!

Depending on the cable, yes you could have an issue. Or, it may be fine. There's no way to tell other than using it. 

I did a quick web search and found this switch on Amazon. $32.95 seems like a pretty fair price if it works as advertised. The reviews look pretty good, but obviously I've never tried it myself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos