Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tehub2rneo
Level 7

Latest update bricked ALL FOUR Rokus on older TVs

Whatever update rolled out about a week and a half-two weeks ago has made my two Roku Expresses and two Roku Ultras stop working on older TVs. Absolute insanity.

I get no signal on two TVs built circa 2010 via HDMI on all four devices, but when I plug them into various newer TVs they all work fine. The older TVs are 1080i/720p but downgrading the Roku to 720p/auto detect does nothing. Factory reset does nothing. I bought a HDMI->VGA active converter (powered) off Amazon thinking it was something to do with HDMI so I’d try VGA, but nothing. No setting on the Roku or TV even gets the TVs to realize a Roku is plugged in. Just “no signal.” I even tried it on a 1080i monitor I had in the garage and nope, no signal HDMI or VGA.

Granted the older TVs are just on the deck/spare room and not necessary, but what kinda **bleep** is that? I bought the two Express models because they’re cheap to go with old TVs.

The only thing I can figure is it’s something with HDCP but I don’t know if the recent update changed it, and I thought VGA would fix that.

Anyways, I’m pretty annoyed they bricked my Expresses for their intended use and I may as well chuck em unless anyone has any ideas which I would really appreciate.

5 Replies
RokoSuku
Level 7

Re: Latest update bricked ALL FOUR Rokus on older TVs

I feel like I'm having the same issue. Any resolution here?

0 Kudos
maggotbrain
Level 7

Me too, no signal for close to two weeks. I've done same, cables, screens. No luck.

0 Kudos
Frustrated123
Level 7

Did you ever get a resolvement? I have the same issue

0 Kudos
Frustrated123
Level 7

Help

0 Kudos
maggotbrain
Level 7

No news yet. Time for a different device.

0 Kudos