Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm when in idle?

Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm to the touch when in idle/sleep mode?
The reason I ask is because when I got up this morning my Roku Ultra was warm to the touch and I hadn't used it since last night.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
andyross
Level 11

Re: Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm when in idle?

Other than the Roku4, they generally do not go into a deep, low-power sleep. The Roku4 is a bit of an oddball, as it's the first 4K and was a bit power-hungry. It has a power-off option that puts it into deep sleep where it will respond to remote commands (but not network) and occasionally wake up to check for updates.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Re: Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm when in idle?

"SuperSapien64" wrote:
Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm to the touch when in idle/sleep mode?
The reason I ask is because when I got up this morning my Roku Ultra was warm to the touch and I hadn't used it since last night.

My Ultra is slightly warm and it's been sleeping for 4 hours. 
I would imagine there's a power supply/regulator - transistor/device that maintains power to the processor/various components/devices/circuitry even when sleeping and that will generate a little heat.

I manually exited the Plex app - otherwise it would never sleep/go home, but I can't say it's warmer while awake with the Plex app loaded and idle... 
Investigation underway... lol
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Re: Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm when in idle?

After a few hours in the idle Plex app, slightly warm is the report.
Basically no difference.
0 Kudos
Markp
Level 9

Re: Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm when in idle?

My Roku stick is always warm. Every other night I unplug it just to be on the safe side. On the plus side, this device is the fastest Roku I have ever experienced.
0 Kudos

Re: Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm when in idle?

What about excessive use such as running an app like YouTube for six to eight hours could that cause a Roku device to overheat?
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Re: Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm when in idle?

"SuperSapien64" wrote:
What about excessive use such as running an app like YouTube for six to eight hours could that cause a Roku device to overheat?

The device is designed to operate under load - for ever.

Yes, it'll generate heat. It's designed to dissipate that heat - Unless you have it wrapped in a towel jammed into the back of an entertainment cabinet. It'll be anywhere from 'warm' to 'really warm' to 'almost hot-like'.

If you can fry an egg on it or if it sets the curtains alight (like a Roku 4) - you got a problem. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
0 Kudos

Re: Is it normal for a Roku device to be warm when in idle?

"DubTaylor" wrote:
"SuperSapien64" wrote:
What about excessive use such as running an app like YouTube for six to eight hours could that cause a Roku device to overheat?

The device is designed to operate under load - for ever.

Yes, it'll generate heat. It's designed to dissipate that heat - Unless you have it wrapped in a towel jammed into the back of an entertainment cabinet. It'll be anywhere from 'warm' to 'really warm' to 'almost hot-like'.

If you can fry an egg on it or if it sets the curtains alight (like a Roku 4) - you got a problem. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Well my first Roku Express I had overheated and that was in the same exact place where my Roku Ultra is now on my entertainment shelf that has plenty of ventilation. :?
I don't know if its because its in close proximity to my router and my HDMI switch box? I mean its not on top of any devices.
0 Kudos