Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DiggityDave
Level 7

Hulu app won't update

I have a roku 3 4320X and am having consistent issues with my Hulu app.  After multiple uninstall, re-install, account resets, I looked on Hulu support site to see if my device is still supported.  Apparently, it is.  I then noticed the app verion is 6.34 build 2.  Hulu says my app should be 6.6.3 or higher.

I then uninstalled, again, then downloaded the app once more.  Still 6.34.  When i choose the options for the app on roku main screen, it tells me my app is up to date.  

Roku software version 9.3.0 build 4194-04

Any advice will be appreciated

Dave

0 Kudos
4 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Hulu app won't update

Assuming that the Hulu support page indicating that Roku 3 is supported is correct, and I'm sure we'd have heard about it long before now if it's wrong, you've come up with an odd problem all right.

Try reinstalling Hulu again, but this time restart your Roku in order to clear its memory before downloading a new copy of the channel. See if it makes any difference in the Hulu version you get.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
DiggityDave
Level 7

Yes, have confirmed the Roku 3 is still supported.  

I have uninstalled, rebooted, then reinstalled twice today, alone.  the funny thing is, when I go to download the app, the details even say the old version. So, for some reason, it looks like that is all that's available to me.

I discovered that my roku firmware was out of date, so I uninstalled the hulu app, updated the roku firmware, and checked on the hulu app and it still shows 6.3.4

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Okay, I see what's going on.  I had assumed when you first said 6.34 you were misinterpreting something that says 6.3.4, but I see I was wrong in this.   6.34 is not the same as 6.3.4.  I just checked and my devices have 6.34 as well.

Hulu's website says to get the latest Hulu version (i.e. anything since their last major rewrite), you have to have Hulu version 6.6.3 or higher.  This implies 6.6.3 was the first stable release of this major rewrite.

We've got 6.34, which is higher, i.e. later, than 6.6.3 (34 is greater than 6) so we DO have the latest version, just as is indicated by your system saying it is up to date.

Software is typically numbered in this fashion.  If Hulu releases an update to this software they can add a decimal point and a number such as 6.34.1 for a very minor tweak, or they could go to 6.35 if they consider it a more significant update.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
DiggityDave
Level 7

I see it know, I was reading it wrong.

After further troubleshooting, and some other device issues, I discovered my router settings were incorrect.  Fixed that and all is good, now.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Dave

0 Kudos