Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caitmae
Level 7

HDCP ERROR?

Is anyone having this HDCP error pop up on their screen? I cant watch anything and I have done what the screen has told me to do. And nothing has updated to a high-bandwith.. does anyone know what's going on since I cant call roku
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DavidS78
Level 7

Re: HDCP ERROR?

I have the same issue since it updated to 9.2 this morning
0 Kudos
b48lego
Level 7

yeah same here i might call later today to find a solution
0 Kudos
Caitmae
Level 7

They have updated their HDMI cables so if you have an issue call they'll try to work it out.. they're still working on what my problem is and a solution.
0 Kudos
Caitmae
Level 7

They have updated their HDMI cables so if you have an issue call they'll try to work it out.. they're still working on what my problem is and a solution.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

HDCP errors are simply the TV and the Roku not agreeing to handshake. That's actually the term used to describe what happens when two HDMI devices are connected. For some reason the data between the two devices isn't being conveyed satisfactorily. Sometimes it's because both devices are not using the same version of the HDCP protocol, but it's usually because there's a hardware issue. Either the cable has a fault, or one of the HDMI connectors has a problem. Power off both devices, disconnect the HDMI cable from both, and make sure there's no dust or other contaminant that might cause a problem. try using a different HDMI port in the TV. Try using a different cable. Try the Roku on a different TV.

If the Roku fails after all of these tests, then it has probably suffered a hardware failure. If it's still under warranty, Roku seems to be good at honoring it. If it's too old, save yourself a lot of time and grief and replace it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're seeing an HDCP error on your TV, take a look at our support article here for troubleshooting steps and tips to help resolve the issue: https://support.roku.com/article/208755468-what-should-i-do-if-i-see-a-hdcp-error-detected-message-o...

Replacing the HDMI cable connecting your device to your TV and/or connecting the device to a different HDMI port on your TV usually helps resolve the issue. 

If those steps still aren't helping, please reply with your specific TV brand/model, and include the brand/model of any A/V receiver you are using. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
timmn
Level 8

If you have a 4K HDR television, try changing the display type to 4K at 30 Hz or 4K at 60 Hz. The 9.2.0 software upgrade seems to be causing problems with them. I've been told that they are working on the problem and will push another software update when it's done.

0 Kudos
Jason1
Level 7

HDCP Error Detected

I have the Roku Ultra and the system updated on 10/29/19 and since then I have been getting this error, HDCP ERROR DETECTED. I've never had this problem before and I have not changed anything. The TV is a 60" LG UHD and I'm using a 2.2 4K HDMI. While the black screen with error code is displayed I can here the content audio playing. I have checked all connections and followed the Roku instructions but still not working. Please help!

[post merged with already existing thread]

0 Kudos