Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

HDCP ERROR?

Jump to solution
Is anyone having this HDCP error pop up on their screen? I cant watch anything and I have done what the screen has told me to do. And nothing has updated to a high-bandwith.. does anyone know what's going on since I cant call roku
Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: HDCP ERROR?

Jump to solution

@MG wrote:

I am getting the HDCP error message when using You Tube.Only started happening since latest upgrade. I have tried doing your suggested fix. That does not work. 

Try this: Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Display Settings -> Auto-adjust display refresh rate if it's set to Enabled, set it to Disabled, Then go to HDR subsampling and set it to 4:2:0 That worked for me, your results may vary.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

None of the suggestions posted here corrected my HDCP error . . . so I went back to the original error screen and more carefully read the instructions, which turned out to correct the error.

Here is what I did which made it work:

1) Unplug the power cord to the TV.

2) Unplug the power cord to the Roku

3) Unscrew both ends of the HDMI cable to the TV and to the Roku device.

4) Wait 10 minutes

5)  Screw in both ends of the HDMI cable to the TV and the Roku Device.

6) Plug the TV power cable back into the electrical source and turn ON the TV

7) Plug the Roku power cable back into the electrical source and wait for Roku to start up again.

So what is the reason for this?  I believe somewhere between the TV powering, the Roku powering, and the HDMI connections are both ends produced a corrupted signal causing the error. But instead of isolating which part of the chain was corrupt, the instructions required a complete shutdown and manual disconnect of all hard wired connections.

Just before I used the above successful instructions, I chose to go through the agonizing (but perhaps required) process of reformatting my Roku as if it were new out of the box. That required me to reinstall it and clone in all of my 280 channels from another Roku I have in the house so as not to lose my channel selections.  But that took an hour of downloading, followed by a software update and restart.  When this failed to rid me of the Error screen, then I following the seven (7) power unplug and cable disconnect steps listed above and the Error screen no longer appeared.

SO perhaps sometimes to the solution is in front of our eyes with a closer more careful reading of the instructions on the error page.hdcp error.jpg

Currently own 2017 Roku 4660 Ultra

Previously owned: 2015 Roku 1 Legacy, and Roku 3 (Model 4200x), Model N1000, Software V3.1 build 1011, and Model 2000c, Software V3.1 build 1011

View solution in original post

70 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have the same issue since it updated to 9.2 this morning
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
yeah same here i might call later today to find a solution
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
They have updated their HDMI cables so if you have an issue call they'll try to work it out.. they're still working on what my problem is and a solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
They have updated their HDMI cables so if you have an issue call they'll try to work it out.. they're still working on what my problem is and a solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

HDCP errors are simply the TV and the Roku not agreeing to handshake. That's actually the term used to describe what happens when two HDMI devices are connected. For some reason the data between the two devices isn't being conveyed satisfactorily. Sometimes it's because both devices are not using the same version of the HDCP protocol, but it's usually because there's a hardware issue. Either the cable has a fault, or one of the HDMI connectors has a problem. Power off both devices, disconnect the HDMI cable from both, and make sure there's no dust or other contaminant that might cause a problem. try using a different HDMI port in the TV. Try using a different cable. Try the Roku on a different TV.

If the Roku fails after all of these tests, then it has probably suffered a hardware failure. If it's still under warranty, Roku seems to be good at honoring it. If it's too old, save yourself a lot of time and grief and replace it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

If you're seeing an HDCP error on your TV, take a look at our support article here for troubleshooting steps and tips to help resolve the issue: https://support.roku.com/article/208755468-what-should-i-do-if-i-see-a-hdcp-error-detected-message-o...

Replacing the HDMI cable connecting your device to your TV and/or connecting the device to a different HDMI port on your TV usually helps resolve the issue. 

If those steps still aren't helping, please reply with your specific TV brand/model, and include the brand/model of any A/V receiver you are using. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

If you have a 4K HDR television, try changing the display type to 4K at 30 Hz or 4K at 60 Hz. The 9.2.0 software upgrade seems to be causing problems with them. I've been told that they are working on the problem and will push another software update when it's done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

HDCP Error Detected

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Ultra and the system updated on 10/29/19 and since then I have been getting this error, HDCP ERROR DETECTED. I've never had this problem before and I have not changed anything. The TV is a 60" LG UHD and I'm using a 2.2 4K HDMI. While the black screen with error code is displayed I can here the content audio playing. I have checked all connections and followed the Roku instructions but still not working. Please help!

[post merged with already existing thread]

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HDCP Error Detected

Jump to solution

I am having this same problem.  It started after the 9.2 upgrade, but I can't say that is the issue.  For me it happens most of the time when the AD starts to play and the Roku Screen switches to the AD screen with AD Info in the top left corner.  I think it might be related to how Roku is sending the AD down the pipe.

Like you I hear the sound and have the HDMI Error message on the screen.  It goes away after about 10 seconds.  

I have the Roku Ultra Model 4660 with Software version 9.2 Build 4131-46.

I am using a Samsung 65" 4K TV Model UN65KS8000 with firmware 1241.

I have tried a different cable 2.2 HDMI and different HDMI port on the TV.

What other information do you need?