Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RukuUser
Level 8

Express plus HDMI with simultaneous analog audio

Jump to solution

Will the Roku Express Plus allow me to send audio and video via HDMI and analog audio via RCA plugs at the same time? I need analog audio for Zone 2. TIA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RukuUser
Level 8

Re: Express plus HDMI with simultaneous analog audio

Jump to solution

Just for the record, I can now answer my own question. I just installed a Roku Express+. The HDMI output is connected an HDMI input on my receiver and the analog output is connected to an analog input (Video 2) on my receiver.

When playing a movie in 5.1 digital surround sound, the audio and video are present via the HDMI input, and there is no sound from the analog input. When playing a stereo song on Pandora, the audio and video are present from the HDMI input, and the audio is SIMULTANEOUSLY heard from the analog input.

I hope this is of benefit to others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@RukuUser wrote:

Will the Roku Express Plus allow me to send audio and video via HDMI and analog audio via RCA plugs at the same time? I need analog audio for Zone 2. TIA.

To my understanding, no it will not. the only thing I've heard that might work is an HDMI audio extractor that connects to the HDMI between the Roku and whatever the next device in your chain is (AVR or TV). It can pull the audio from the HDMI stream and send it out either optical or analog, depending on the device. I'm pretty sure the HDMI audio will continue through, but I'm not 100% certain.

Of course, another option is to use an AVR that has a Zone 2 out, and select the Roku input for the second zone.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RukuUser
Level 8

Jump to solution

Dan-- Thanks for your prompt response. I currently use a 3100x-Roku 2XS which has an HDMI output as well as analog outputs; I have been informed that the model will no longer receive updates, and that I am eligible for an inexpensive "upgrade." to the Express Plus.

My 2XS has both HDMI and analog outputs. The analog audio is output simultaneously with the HDMI signal. I am wondering if the Express Plus will do the same; I suspect that the correct answer will come only from someone with the device who has actually tried it.

Most amplifiers will not accept a digital signal (e.g. from HDMI) for Zone 2, and mine is no exception.

I am successfully using an HDMI audio extractor for my Apple TV; it passes the HDMI audio and video through while simultaneously outputting analog audio which I send to my Zone 2.

--Bruce

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

I've never used the Zone 2 functionality of my AVR, but I was under the belief that Zone 2 can select any of the existing inputs of the AVR. Doesn't that mean that your Roku, connected via HDMI to the AVR, can send the audio to Zone 2 without having a supply the audio via a different input? 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RukuUser
Level 8

Jump to solution

It appears that while some high end receivers will output a digital signal to zone 2, most do not. Google “Zone 2 digital” for more details.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

So the AVR can't take the digital signal and output it via analog to Zone 2? That was my point. But I understand if you prefer sending it digital to the second zone. 

Dan
0 Kudos
RukuUser
Level 8

Jump to solution

Apparently, I miscommunicated. It is not that I want to send a digital signal to Zone 2. I understand that HDMI cannot be sent directly to Zone 2. The signal going to Zone 2 must come, in this case, either from a Roku product with a built in Digital to Analog converter, or from an HDMI audio extractor.

0 Kudos
RukuUser
Level 8

Jump to solution

My only question for this group is whether or not the Express Plus will output analog audio at the same time that it is using the HDMI output.

0 Kudos
RukuUser
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just for the record, I can now answer my own question. I just installed a Roku Express+. The HDMI output is connected an HDMI input on my receiver and the analog output is connected to an analog input (Video 2) on my receiver.

When playing a movie in 5.1 digital surround sound, the audio and video are present via the HDMI input, and there is no sound from the analog input. When playing a stereo song on Pandora, the audio and video are present from the HDMI input, and the audio is SIMULTANEOUSLY heard from the analog input.

I hope this is of benefit to others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos