Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GTheut
Level 7

Blurry, poor picture quality on Roku Express

Solution to blurry playback picture: In your Roku settings, go to "display types" and change to 720. 

Background from non-tech guy: I recently cut cable and was disappointed with Roku Express picture quality on my 1080 plasma screen. YouTube TV live programming like NFL games on Fox and NBA on ESPN were particularly bad. So bad, I couldn't see the basketball or numbers on players. You could see the picture trying to resolve and alternate between super blurry and blurry. HBO and Hulu were also nowhere near the HD I was used to with cable. I combed the forum and FAQs but couldn't find anything. Customer service always focused on connection/wireless. My connection was strong and 18" from the router. They convinced me that I'd just have to get used to it. The problem turned out to be the signal from the station. My Roku was continually trying to bump it up to 1080, but the signal from the station wasn't strong enough or had too much traffic (not a tech guy) so it was horribly blurry. When I switched to 720 (Roku settings>display types), the picture improved dramatically. For the first time, I now have HD and it looks as good as cable. I have to believe that 4k is having the same issue. You might have a 4k or 1080 screen, but if the signal isn't strong enough, it doesn't matter.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tajson
Level 7

Re: Blurry, poor picture quality on Roku Express

"GTheut" wrote:
Solution to blurry playback picture: In your Roku settings, go to "display types" and change to 720. 

Background from non-tech guy: [...] The problem turned out to be the signal from the station. [...] but if the signal isn't strong enough, it doesn't matter.

Wise words! You have to consider the entire chain of streaming and adjust to one's unique situation. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
mcstock00000
Level 7

cold reboot / hard reboot - whatever you want to call it, unplug the device (stick, smart TV, etc) and plug it back in. this is a recurring problem we've had with roku with certain channels from time to time, apparently the roku brain gets a bit scrambled and a really good picture starts to look like mush. roku support kept insisting it was a 'content' issue but would not define what they meant, even though the 'content' was fine on one device but not fine on another device on the same network at the same time. i also talked to the channel provider, they acknowledged this is a known issue with roku that they are investigating, however, i really don't see it as a provider issue since it happens on one device at a time and is resolved with power down. 
0 Kudos
dave4881
Level 7

Same problem here with my Roku SS+.  This is my second Roku streaming device.  And it is the 2nd one that will go in the TRASH.  I will buy an Apple TV and leave my Roku problems where they belong.......... in the trash!
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"dave4881" wrote:
Same problem here with my Roku SS+.  This is my second Roku streaming device.  And it is the 2nd one that will go in the TRASH.  I will buy an Apple TV and leave my Roku problems where they belong.......... in the trash!

Or.you could ask for help with th problem..

If there's a blurry picture, there's a chance you have wifi interference or a slow internet connection. Getting an Apple TV will probably yield the same problems.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos