Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larryc43230
Level 7

Blue screen from Roku Ultra

I have owned a Roku Ultra since late January. It replaced a several-year-old Roku 3. The box worked perfectly until yesterday, April 24.

The Roku box is connected via HDMI to one of the inputs on my Onkyo home entertainment center. Normally, when I use the Onkyo's remote to switch to the Roku box, I see the Roku home screen. Now all I see when I switch to the Roku is a blue screen on my TV. 

Things I've tried (none of these has made any difference, I still get nothing but a blue screen):

• Unplug the Roku box, wait about a minute, then plug it back in.
  • Reset the Roku box by pressing and holding the Reset button on the bottom.
  • Unplug both ends of the HDMI cable and plug them both back in firmly.
  • Change the batteries in the Roku remote.
  • Change the batteries in the Onkyo remote.
  • Check the other inputs to the entertainment center (cable box, DVD player, CD player); all other inputs perform normally.
  • Check my WiFi network for any problems (none found; I can "see" the Roku Ultra and it appears to be connected to WiFi).
  • Reboot my router.

Nothing has made any difference, all I get is a blue screen.

Is this a symptom of a Roku outage, or is my Roku box dead?

Anything else I should try?

--Larry

0 Kudos
6 Replies
larryc43230
Level 7

Re: Blue screen from Roku Ultra

I've now done further troubleshooting, as follows:

• I replaced the HDMI cable with another known good cable (I tested this new cable first by playing my DVD player through it). The new cable works fine with the DVD player, but still no signal from the Roku Ultra. I'm fairly sure that eliminates the cable as the source of the problem.
  • I used the new cable to attach the Roku Ultra to a different input on the back of the entertainment center (the one normally used for the DVD player; I know that input works). No signal from the Roku Ultra through that input, either. That eliminates the input on the back of the entertainment center.
  • I attached my DVD player to what is normally the Roku input using the old cable. The DVD player works fine with the same cable and the same entertainment center input that don't work with the Roku player. That (I'm fairly sure) eliminates both the HDMI cable and the entertainment center as the source of the problem.

That leaves the Roku Ultra or the signal it gets from the mother ship. 

I sent a message to Roku support yesterday through the Web site, but I've had no response. Given their warning that they're working with reduced staff, I have little confidence they'll respond any time soon.

If we can't get this Roku player to stream video for us soon, we'll likely go crazy during this pandemic lockdown; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--Larry

0 Kudos
HeliAwesome
Level 7

I have the same problem and have completed the same trouble shooting steps. 

0 Kudos
Diana2
Level 7

Same problem here!! Also completed all the trouble shooting. When I unplugged and restarted Roku the letters came up on the screen like normal then straight to blue screen.

0 Kudos
MinkB
Level 7

I just replaced my roku yesterday with the ultra and it was fine yesterday but today BLUE FREAKING SCREEN😡

0 Kudos
MinkB
Level 7

Its ur resolution. I had the same issue. You must lower your display resolution. Reset your roku on the bottom of the device, the roku menu should come up, go to display and lower the resolution and you should be fine after that, if not go to settings and factory rest  

0 Kudos
KULBREEZ97
Level 7

0 Kudos