Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pg460
Level 7

Re: Black Screen on TV After Updating

Jump to solution

Update: we switched out our router and that fixed it. 

0 Kudos
Mtnhme
Level 7

Jump to solution

We should not need to replace router!

Roku needs to fix this! I will switch products before i change router or tv!

We have an ultra. Wired directly to router. Have rebooted both router and roku. Stupid black screen keeps happening. 

Losing patience.  Fix update roku

RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Mtnhme Thanks for reaching out. Could you please provide more specific details about exactly when you are seeing this behavior? What screen are you on when this occurs, what streaming channel are you using, what content are you watching? 

A few more things to try: 

- Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable used to connect your Roku device to your TV? 

- Have you switched the HDMI port that the device is connected to on your TV? 

- Have you tried performing a factory reset on the device to clear all settings, channels, and data and see if this resolves the issue? 

Please keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
prhouchens
Level 7

Jump to solution

same thing is happening to me: black screen, remote still turns the tv on and off. We were watching Disney +.

Kristi50
Level 7

Jump to solution

I went through everything. Reset back to factory, rebooting ect. Finally, I went under picture settings. Had mine set to brighter. So, I changed it to different ones and left it on darker. After I turned the TV off and back on, I haven't noticed it blacking out anymore. Well so far anyway. FINGERS CROSSED it stays that way. I really think this is a ROKU glitch problem, because to many people are having the same problem and all of us started within the same time frame, which was about 1-2 weeks ago. 

0 Kudos
Emperpavel
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just had this issue with Roku Ultra pulled my SD card and it finally booted up.

iluvabcz
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm just trying to turn it on. It worked fine about a week ago. I've reset it twice, unplugged twice, tried using both the physical and app remote and all it does is bounce the Roku logo a few times and goes black. My TV still recognizes it's receiving a signal, but no picture or sound. Even tried using the Netflix button.

JimCockfield
Level 8

Jump to solution

@iluvabcz wrote:

I'm just trying to turn it on. It worked fine about a week ago. I've reset it twice, unplugged twice, tried using both the physical and app remote and all it does is bounce the Roku logo a few times and goes black. My TV still recognizes it's receiving a signal, but no picture or sound. Even tried using the Netflix button.

@iluvabcz wrote:

Turn the TV off, then back on.  Restarting the Roku device won't help.

The problem I have started with the Roku 9.2 software.  All 9.2 software builds cause a black screen whenever the Roku device restarts.

None of the 9.1 Software builds had this issue (restarting the Roku device did not cause a black TV screen).

So, something the Roku developers changed in the Version 9.2 software builds is causing this problem.

My guess is that a change was made in how Roku queries the TV to determine what output settings to generate (resolution, refresh rate, etc). 

I've also noticed that the Roku device does not retain my resolution settings under Display type after a restart.

In any event, the only solution I've found is to power cycle my TV (turn it off, then back on, and the output from the Roku device will appear).

So, try not to power cycle your Roku device, unless you power cycle your TV, too.

I could probably reset my Roku back to factory defaults to solve it (IF it goes back to the software version it shipped with, a 9.1 release). 

The problem did not exist in any of the version 9.1 updates that occurred.

The problem started with software version 9.2.  All 9.2 build updates installed so far  still have the black screen issue.

My TV is a Vizio E420i-B0 that was purchased in 2014.  I suspect that many other Vizio model owners have the same problem (black screen anytime their Roku device restarts).

larrsz
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am having same issue with a Vizio 2018 e series. Really does sound like 9.2 did something.

iluvabcz
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well, my TV had a screen today (I'm using a stick - Hisense and Samsung tvs are fine), but my menu was all in Portuguese! That took a while to fix. I used the actual TV remote to turn on the tv in case that makes a difference.