Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimCockfield
Level 8

Black Screen on TV After Updating

Jump to solution

I have a black screen after updating a Roku 3600R Streaming stick to 9.2 a few minutes ago. I'm using a walker and don't think I can try unplugging it.

Is there a way to restart it using the remote?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimCockfield
Level 8

Re: HDMI Issues since 9.2

Jump to solution
I was ablr to restart it using the remote. But the screen was still black.

I then powered the TV off and on, and that fixed it Roku screen is visible again. Whew!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@JimCockfield wrote:
I have a black screen after updating a Roku 3600R Streaming stick to 9.2 a few minutes ago. I'm using a walker and don't think I can try unplugging it.

Is there a way to restart it using the remote?

Yes, but you have to be able to see the screen to do it. It's in the Settings menu, under System/Power. I'll give you the button sequence on my Roku TV, and hopefully it will be the same on your Stick. If not, perhaps someone else can try it with a Stick.

Hit the Home button twice (this is to ensure you are absolutely at the beginning point). Press Up, Right, Up, Right, Down three times, Right, Up, Right, then press the OK button. If that works, you should see the dancing Roku booting image. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
JimCockfield
Level 8

Jump to solution
I was ablr to restart it using the remote. But the screen was still black.

I then powered the TV off and on, and that fixed it Roku screen is visible again. Whew!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
JimCockfield
Level 8

Jump to solution
I woke up to the sound of my. Roku. 3600 Streaming Stick restarting itself at 8:37AM this morning.

The TV screen was black again, and restarting the stick did not fix it.

Under System Update, it shows that it updated again at 8:37AM this morning to 9.2.0 Build 4128. Under the About menu, it shows the build as 4128-24. I'm assuming a newer build number caused the update.

As with yesterday's update, only powering the TV off and on would fix the black screen problem.

Just to try something, I set the Roku display choice type to 1080p instead of Auto Dectect, then restarted the Roku stick via its menu.

Sure enough, the TV screen was black again after the restart, even without another update.

I also looked at Display Type and found that it was changed back to Auto Detect again, even though I had changed it to 1080p.

I hope they can figure out what's causing the black screen problems with the 9.2.0 builds. I would prefer not to need to power cyle the TV after every Roku restart.

This never happened with earlier software versions.
0 Kudos