Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Black Screen On Roku Ultra after Update

I updated my Roku Ultra and after that, the Screen Reboots to the dancing Logo and then goes black repeatedly while the white light just flashes intermittently.

I have moved it to other TVs, swapped out the HDMI cables and am using ONLY the original power supply.

Customer Support is no help and I am fed up with this product.

HELP!!!

15 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Black Screen On Roku Ultra after Update

@DougDC 

Thanks for the note. 

We would recommend that you try performing a factory reset on your device.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks. Will try tonight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same thing, my Roku is blackscreen.  If I reboot, I can see the dancing Roku letters, then it goes right back to blackscreen.  Performing a factory reset using the reset button on the bottom has not helped.  Is there anything else I can do or do I need to return it.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@JackFrappart 

Thanks for the note.

How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into the wall with the provided cables and adapter?

Please make sure when trying to perform a factory reset that you press and hold down the reset button for 30 seconds, regardless of what is happening on your screen.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same issue with the ROKU Ultra. My Samsung Plasma auto switches from 720p to 1080 after bouncing ROKU letters then the screen goes black. There is no way for me to set the TV to default to a certain screen type. Was working fine last night but this morning no good.

I did plug this ROKU Ultra into an older Vizio TV and it worked fine. Seems to be something wrong with ROKU’s auto detect feature.

I performed a factory reset to no avail.

Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) 

Highlighted

Brand new Roku Ultra - Flashing Black Screen every minute or so on 5 year old Samsung TV.

This is VERY disappointing!  I received my ROKU Ultra box today and connected it to my Samsung UN40H5201AFXZA 40" TV that is capable of 1920x1080.  Previously, I was using the Frontier/Verizon set top box at 1080P resolution and NEVER had a problem.  I am running the latest firmware on the TV.  It is a 2014 model so it is between five and five and a half years old.  The other three TVs in my house are all from about the same time period so my fear is that all of them will experience this same phenomena that makes this "cutting the cord" solution untenable.  Sure, if I cut the cord I might save $100/mo.  However, it would take me at least three years to realize enough savings to justify the initial outlay.  I will bring this up with Roku and Samsung tech support over the next few days and I hope that the solution is a simple one and does not require me to replace TVs as I simply won't do that.  I'll instead return the ROKU Ultra, with the new HDMI cable I got from them, and continue using cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Black Screen On Roku Express

I have tried all these fixes including switch out my HDMI Cable. Still getting a black screen after the dancing ROKU.

Factory reset does not work I tried it twice. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Brand new Roku Ultra - Flashing Black Screen every minute or so on 5 year old Samsung TV.

I've got a Roku Ultra 4660x2 and all I get are the bouncing Roku letters then the screens cuts off. I've factory reset and tried multiple cables and even bought a new one and still nothing. My Chromecast Ultra works just fine on this TV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Brand new Roku Ultra - Flashing Black Screen every minute or so on 5 year old Samsung TV.

I have the 4670R, it's only a month old.  Did an update and there were none.  I went into system settings to restart and now like others... i get the dancing ROKU when it first starts up and then nothing... black screen.  Unplugged for 1 minute, didn't help.  Turned TV off and on, didn't help.   

0 Kudos