Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cece4me
Level 7

Audio but black screen for video.

TV operates correctly with other video equipment. But with Roku I have audio, program icons, timer circles, video frames—-everything but video. I have unplugged everything including TV, waited 5 minutes and plugged back in, changed batteries in remote, rebooted, reset to factory settings, checked internet and WiFi connections. Problem began suddenly with no changes made to TV. Only other curiosity is that Roku turns on with TV rather than with remote.
0 Kudos
23 Replies
steelersrule
Level 7

Re: Audio but black screen for video.

More info needed.

Which ROKU do you have?

Connected to HDTV with HDMI?  Trying to watch 4K content, or no video at all?  

Connected to your ISP via ethernet(hardwired), or WiFi?

Could be your HDMI cable, but I doubt it...
0 Kudos
Cece4me
Level 7

I have Express operating with WiFi. This is occurring with any movie or TV stream via Netflix, Roku, Prime etc.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Need to know the TV make/model as well to determine if it's a resolution recognition issue. 

Do you see the Roku boot screen when first powered up? Do you see anything (menus, home screen)? Also, Except for players that connect to a USB power source on the TV (like a Stick), your Roku is always powered on. It is waking from sleep mode when you first use it, not powering on.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Cece4me
Level 7

It is A JVC I’Art Pro. I can see everything (home screen, index listings, the video progression line, even the video frames beneath the ptogression line.). I can see everything I have seen before except when the video starts the screen turns black except for the progression lineI. It is an older JVC connected to Express with The RCA cable that came with Express. I cannot find a resolution adjustment.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Please post your Serial Number/DeviceID as well as the current firmware version and build number.

Thanks!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Cece4me
Level 7

Of the TV or Roku device?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Roku Device.  Settings > System > About.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

To me, it sounds like you're set to an incompatible resolution.. go into the Roku settings and change the resolution to 720p and see if that resolves it. It may be trying to run at 1080p and your TV isn't capable.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Cece4me
Level 7

Do not see a resolution setting under settings
0 Kudos