Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maccabird
Level 8

AirPlay 2 Volume Control not working with Soundbar

Jump to solution

With the new update of my TCL Roku Smart TV, I can now AirPlay music from my iPhone. 

however, when a soundbar is used with the TV (even with HDMI ARC), the iPhone volume controls cannot adjust the volume. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: AirPlay 2 Volume Control not working with Soundbar

Jump to solution

@Maccabird 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that Airplay volume control is currently only supported for the Roku TV itself or Roku Wireless speakers.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
kyledag500
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am also experiencing this. It shows the current volume when I try to adjust volume so it looks like it’s trying but not working.

0 Kudos
Maccabird
Level 8

Jump to solution

Figured I would elaborate to anyone else dealing with this:  

I have a Tcl Roku Smart TV. It was just recently updated to have AirPlay 2 capabilities. It works very well when sending music from my iPhone to the TV, or using the iPhone Apple TV remote from my iPhone's control center to control the TV.

However, when you have an external soundbar plugged in, my iPhone cannot control the volume of anything streaming. For example, when I'm streaming music, the volume control from the iPhone will not adjust the soundbar volume. And when watching Netflix on the TV with the iPhone Apple Remote open from the control center, I cannot adjust the volume using the side volume buttons. The soundbar is hooked up with HDMI ARC, and the Roku remote can properly adjust the soundbar volume. Additionally, using the Roku remote on the Roku app on my iPhone also works properly.

It is the native iPhone volume control that will not adjust the volume of the soundbar when using airplay. It is frustrating because I cannot change the volume from my iPhone.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Maccabird 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that Airplay volume control is currently only supported for the Roku TV itself or Roku Wireless speakers.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Juiceton
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having this same problem. I use a receiver connected to a home audio system that my TV is connected to via HDMI. Controlling volume from my iPhone during airplay worked fine until this update, now I can’t control it. I am able to open the roku app and adjust the volume though, so my phone should be able to control volume from airplay too.

0 Kudos
Has
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi danny

i just managed to get airplay 2 to all my roku premiere. I can’t control the volume, do you mean that it is by design that way?!?!

how can a company say it support airplay 2 and not to implement the basic functions of the protocol.

I bought the roku devices just for that cause. Is roku working on a fix?

thanks

0 Kudos
Maccabird
Level 8

Jump to solution

An update for everyone: I reached out to Roku support and was able to provide them with a lot of information over an email exchange, and they said they are working on it

0 Kudos
Has
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks,

this is outrageous, saying you have airplay 2 support while not implementing a basic feature is a behavior I wouldn’t expect from a big company like roku.

Has
Level 8

Jump to solution

When is a fix coming to airplay 2 volume control?

0 Kudos
Maccabird
Level 8

Jump to solution

The Roku support team said they were working on this, but they have not given me any updates yet. 

0 Kudos