Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Windows 10 Hotspot/Virtual Router

Jump to solution

Hey all,

Weird issue here, I have a Roku Streaming Stick 4k I want to connect to a hotspot coming from my Windows 10 laptop.

I have the hotspot working fine (I can use it from my phone and Playstation 4) but for some reason the Roku doesn't detect it at all. Actually none of my Roku detect it (I have 2 Streaming sticks and an older model)
They see all the neighbors wireless networks and my iPhone hotspot when I enable it but for some reason not the Windows 10 one. When connected to a visible network I have no issues, it just seems to have a blind spot when it comes to Windows 10 Hotspots.

Any thoughts? I would blame Microsoft if it weren't for all my other devices working ok.

Thanks.

- Jason

Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Windows 10 Hotspot/Virtual Router

Jump to solution

That could be, I have been trying to find a way to change the broadcast channel, it hadn't occurred to me that it could be defaulting to 5ghz.

I will dig on that today. Good lead Smiley Happy

*** UPDATE:
5ghz wouldn't matter as the + models see 5ghz.
The laptop is older, more than 5 years so it is unlikely it is broadcasting anything other than 2.4ghz.
Still perplexed.
I have used a 3rd Party Hotspot software (Connectify) which the Roku could detect. Still not the perfect solution, I would prefer to know why Window's built in Hotspot isn't detected. I think you may be onto something with the broadcast channel being outside the detectable range.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

One possible thing I can think of. If the laptop is only sending out a 5 GHz hotspot, and if's using a DFS channel, no Roku would see if. Since I've never had a laptop with a cellular device, I have no idea if that's something that can be adjusted. But if that is the case, the channel number on 5 GHz has to be 48 or below, or 149 or higher. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

That could be, I have been trying to find a way to change the broadcast channel, it hadn't occurred to me that it could be defaulting to 5ghz.

I will dig on that today. Good lead Smiley Happy

*** UPDATE:
5ghz wouldn't matter as the + models see 5ghz.
The laptop is older, more than 5 years so it is unlikely it is broadcasting anything other than 2.4ghz.
Still perplexed.
I have used a 3rd Party Hotspot software (Connectify) which the Roku could detect. Still not the perfect solution, I would prefer to know why Window's built in Hotspot isn't detected. I think you may be onto something with the broadcast channel being outside the detectable range.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Guessing no one is using Window's 10 hotspots who frequents the Community, lol

For future searchers, I will keep this updated and post my solution when I find one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yeah, an older laptop most likely doesn't have 5 GHz for the hotspot. But it would matter if it was on 5 GHz and using a DFS channel, because no Roku device will see a DFS channel. Yes, the Stick supports 5 GHz, but won't see a DFS channel. I did discover my UniFi access point will use DFS channels if I set it to Auto, so I have to manually assign the channel so my Roku devices can see it.

But you're right, very few people likely have laptops with an internal cellular modem. So not very likely to see many Roku users that have used such a hotspot. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos