Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

WPA2 Enterprise supported?

Apologies if this is an already addressed question - I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find any info on it.

I'm looking at getting a Roku device (or TV with Roku built in) for my daughter in her dorm room.  But the Wifi she has access to there is WPA2 Enterprise (she has to enter both a username and password to log in).

I've read about the "Hotel and Dorm Connect" feature on newer Roku's.  However, it seems that is intended to allow a user to log in through a typical Wifi landing page that hotels often have.  That's not precisely the case with WPA2 Enterprise - the username and password are part of the Wifi connection protocol - not a landing page.

Before I spend the money to buy a Roku device only to have to return it if it doesn't work, can someone tell me if any Roku product will support logging into a WPA2 Enterprise Wifi network?

Thanks!

Dan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: WPA2 Enterprise supported?

Don't know what, if anything, the "enterprise" part of your question entails.

For connecting to a standard secure wifi setup, one enters the required username and password.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

There are two major versions of the WPA2 protocol for authenticating to Wifi.  WPA2 Personal is how most home routers are set up (and which undoubtedly the Roku supports).  It's the traditional situation of logging into Wifi by entering the password for that Wifi.

WPA2 Enterprise is how some businesses, schools, etc. set up their Wifi (and is what I'm having to deal with).  It's a different authentication protocol to WPA2 Personal, and has other ways of authenticating a device - a common way is by asking for both a username and password.  This is not the same as an HTML landing page that some hotels, free Wifi spots, etc. sometimes use to authenticate (they may ask for your room number, advertise their services, etc.).  From what I understand, the Roku Hotel and Dorm connect feature can handle the latter case.  But that's not WPA2 Enterprise, which has the username and password provided as part of the authentication to connect to Wifi in the first place.

The reason I ask is that I know the Amazon Alexa definitely does not work with the Wifi the college has set up, due to the fact that their Wifi uses WPA2 Enterprise for authentication but the Alexa doesn't support it.  I'm just wondering if someone has experience with using a Roku device in an WPA2 Enterprise environment for authentication.

Thanks!

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

WPA2 encryption protocol is the most common in use these days.

There should be no problems.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@Apollo360 wrote:

There are two major versions of the WPA2 protocol for authenticating to Wifi.  WPA2 Personal is how most home routers are set up (and which undoubtedly the Roku supports).  It's the traditional situation of logging into Wifi by entering the password for that Wifi.

WPA2 Enterprise is how some businesses, schools, etc. set up their Wifi (and is what I'm having to deal with).  It's a different authentication protocol to WPA2 Personal, and has other ways of authenticating a device - a common way is by asking for both a username and password.  This is not the same as an HTML landing page that some hotels, free Wifi spots, etc. sometimes use to authenticate (they may ask for your room number, advertise their services, etc.).  From what I understand, the Roku Hotel and Dorm connect feature can handle the latter case.  But that's not WPA2 Enterprise, which has the username and password provided as part of the authentication to connect to Wifi in the first place.

The reason I ask is that I know the Amazon Alexa definitely does not work with the Wifi the college has set up, due to the fact that their Wifi uses WPA2 Enterprise for authentication but the Alexa doesn't support it.  I'm just wondering if someone has experience with using a Roku device in an WPA2 Enterprise environment for authentication.

Thanks!

Dan

No, Roku devices do not support WPA2 Enterprise. Your only option would be to add an access point that only requires WPA2 personal. You could make it a "guest" network to protect that access from the rest of your network, but depending on what you want to stream (local content) that might be a problem as well. I don't know if it's possible with Enterprise to use the sort of landing page that hotels use, but you might look into that as well. I also have doubts that any other streaming device is able to do so either. I thought perhaps the Shield, but it doesn't appear to either. Doubt the Fire TV does. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 16

Well, if you have a good Data plan you might want to consider using your smart phone as a Hot spot.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos