Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirbeewa
Level 7

Turning on the Roku disconnects my router from the internet

We have a Roku in our bedroom and everywhere else in the house we use chromecast or firestick or xbox or whatever. The past few days, our internet will be working fine with multiple devices running and streaming, but as soon as we turn the Roku on in the bedroom, our internet connection goes out. It isn't a bandwidth issue, we use up way more bandwidth during the day. And I don't mean the Roku disconnects from wifi, I mean our wifi goes out, red light on the router, no internet access at all. It makes no sense to me. We have a Roku Premiere and haven't used it in a few months, so I don't know how long this might have been an issue. Any ideas??

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
Hrice75
Level 7

Re: Turning on the Roku disconnects my router from the internet

Am I missing something? Are there no answers to this issue?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

If that happened to me, I'd do a factory reset of the device. There's a reset button on the Roku, and I'd press it for no less than 30 seconds (as Roku suggests) and see what happens after it restarts.

Does the WiFi go out when a factory-reset device is powered up? It's not connected to the network.

Or does the network only go out when the Roku connects to it? And after it's connected, if the WiFi goes out, doesn't the Roku disconnect? And if a disconnected Roku doesn't interfere with the network, why isn't the network on again?

There are questions about the symptoms that remain.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Hrice75
Level 7

No. After an hour Roku went out also. I checked wifi on tv after that and it was off as well. I can't find an answer anywhere, so I just reconnected wifi so other devices would work. Frustrating, so I will look into why roku keeps shutting everything down later

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Did you try the factory reset?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos