Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kbruins59
Level 7

Roku utlra poor wired Connection

My family finally decided to upgrade our Roku. We had an old Roku 2 XS. After researching we went with the Roku Ultra due to the Ethernet capability. Sadly the first one we received wouldn't even register that a wired connection was connected. We reconnected it to our XS and it played and ran just fine. We ended up swapping it out for another Ultra. Now the this current Ultra is able to connect to the wired connection but it is slllooowww, and displays it as poor. The connection when hooked up to the XS is good ~50 mbps up to 100. What can I do to get my speed up? Is it the Ultra? I have rebooted my modem, and restarted the Roku. This is a brand new Roku ultra, got today. We got this for the Ethernet capability, if it is going to be such a hassle we may just return it and get the stick plus  Thanks in advance for any help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

That's really, really odd. I have a Roku Ultra (model 4660) connected via ethernet to my network. No issues whatsoever. Using the Netflix "Check your network" feature, I'm getting 70-80 Mbps on what Comcast says is 100 Mbps service.

From the Netflix app, go to Settings/Get Help icon > Check Your Network

Since it's new device, try a factory reset (hold the reset button down for NO LESS THAN 30 SECONDS (that's important). Additionally, you might want to see what speed it shows WiFi
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Kbruins59
Level 7

Ok I'll try that. Will that make me have to re-link it and download all my channels?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Yes. That's the down side.

Before you do that, though, it might be a good idea to do a network reset. I forgot about this new functionality when I posted my last reply, and came back to offer it, but see you had already seen the previous reply.

From the Roku main menu, Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Network Connection Reset

If that doesn't resolve anything, then a Factory Reset (using the button I suggested, remembering that it's NO LESS THAN 30 SECONDS to hold it).

Oh, one other thing: If you have installed an SD card, remove it, then try the network reset and, if necessary, the factory reset. There have been reports of odd behavior with an SD card, particularly those larger than necessary (4 GB is max needed).
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"Basil" wrote:
remembering that it's NO LESS THAN 30 SECONDS to hold it).

Quoting for Emphasis.  Ignore what happens on-screen.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Kbruins59
Level 7

OK thanks for the additional information. I will try that and post on the results.
0 Kudos
Kbruins59
Level 7

So I tried both the network reset, and the factory reset. I am still seeing very slow internet speeds via the wired connection. I swapped it over to wireless for now. Just contemplating what I can do to remedy this problem. Do I go and swap it for another ultra, and hope that third times the charm, return it for a Stick plus,or just keep this one and use it because it's better than the Stick plus?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Did you try a new ethernet cable yet?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jagreenough
Level 7

Did u try another cable?
0 Kudos
bkimura
Level 7

I’m seeing the same problem on my Ultra. I’m getting approximately double the throughput connecting wireless (5ghz) versus wired.  Leaving on wireless for now  as my wired speeds were running around 40mbs vs 90mbs for wired. (150mb Comcast service)  any idea if this has been acknowledged by Roku and are there any plans to address it?  Thanks. 
0 Kudos