Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimchia
Level 7

Roku and 5g

Do any Roku products work with 5g?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku and 5g

"jimchia" wrote:
Do any Roku products work with 5g?

5G is what they're calling the next generation of cell phone technology. If you're asking if you can use a hotspot on a cellphone for connecting your Roku, then sure. 3G, 4G, 5G doesn't really matter. Well, 3G is slow, but yeah.

If you're trying to ask if Roku devices support 5GHz WiFi, the Roku Stick, Stick+, and Ultra support 5GHz WiFi.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jimchia
Level 7

Thanks.  I was asking about 5g WiFi and have several Roku Expresses.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"jimchia" wrote:

The Express models 2.4 GHz only. As are the new Premiere (3920) and Premiere+ (3921), in case you were looking to add other devices. If you're looking for stuff that supports 5GHz, neither Express models nor the new Premiere models will do that.

Also, and again, it's not 5G WiFi. There's no such thing. It's 5 GHz WiFi. The G means generation in this context. And in every context, GHz means gigahertz, which is a measurement frequency, or cycles per second (1 Hz = 1 cycle per second). If you don't want to believe me about the "G" vs "GHz" thing, will you believe the cell phone industry (https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5GHz and https://www.techopedia.com/definition/2706/gigahertz-ghz)?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"DBDukes" wrote:
"jimchia" wrote:

The Express models 2.4 GHz only.

Roku Express boxes support a 'n' wifi which can be a 5 GHz network. However, they do not support an 'ac' wifi which the higher end Roku boxes (and sticks) support.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Tajson" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
...The Express models 2.4 GHz only.

Roku Express boxes support a 'n' wifi which can be a 5 GHz network. However, they do not support an 'ac' wifi which the higher end Roku boxes (and sticks) support.

Thank you for the correction and the additional information.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Tajson" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"jimchia" wrote:

The Express models 2.4 GHz only.

Just because they support 802.11N doesn't mean they support 5 GHz. .11N is offered in both bands (2.4 and 5 GHz), and the Express Roku players only support 2.4 GHz. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Hey2019
Level 7

Can someone anyone please tell me weather or not a Roku Express can be hooked to Wi-Fi land line or no? I bought this 2 or 3 yrs back never used it but now that i need it I'm discovering that I'm behide on upgrades models. Before I just give up on the one i have I was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of converter that will convert Ethernet cable to HDMI and then how would I get roku also connected to my tv? Wow its a little confusing. There is no Ethernet cable port in back of this roku, only HDMI and piwer cord. Does Anyone know how i can get this thing wired directly to my,internet modem? Or if its even,possible. I have searched Google and watched YouTube videos but never get a straight yes or no answer. I even tried reaching out roku support but its impossible to speak with live rep.
Thanks much guys.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

"Hey2019" wrote:
Can someone anyone please tell me weather or not a Roku Express can be hooked to Wi-Fi land line or no? I bought this 2 or 3 yrs back never used it but now that i need it I'm discovering that I'm behide on upgrades models. Before I just give up on the one i have I was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of converter that will convert Ethernet cable to HDMI and then how would I get roku also connected to my tv? Wow its a little confusing. There is no Ethernet cable port in back of this roku, only HDMI and piwer cord.  Does Anyone know how i can get this thing wired directly to my,internet modem? Or if its even,possible.  I have searched Google and watched YouTube videos but never get a straight yes or no answer. I even tried reaching out roku support but its impossible to speak with live rep.
Thanks much guys.

Why not just buy a wireless router?  You'd plug the ethernet cable into that, then stream the Roku via wireless. Should get decent speeds nowadays off modems. Otherwise, if that Roku model doesn't have an ethernet port there's likely no way to use it 'wired'.
0 Kudos
Hey2019
Level 7

Well ive thought of that as well. Buying a better modem. Ive thought about putting modem in my bedroom since that's,middle of house amd room I,have trouble with connection in. Ive thought of signal booster and etc. I honestly wanted to try not to change too much cause all other devices work perfectly. But that also while router is in front room. I'm going to try moving router to bedroom and then checking connections in all other areas,of house. Then,go from there i guess.
0 Kudos