Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KristenA1
Level 7

Roku Frozen on WiFi Screen

Hi- I just purchased my Roku Express and in the middle of set-up my WiFi went down. Now I’m frozen on the wireless connection screen and it just says “Checking”- I’ve unplugged it several times and it keeps returning to this screen. HELP!

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Frozen on WiFi Screen

Since you were still in the setup mode, there's nothing to be lost by doing a hard reset on the Roku. There should be a small hole near the other connections, and in that hole is a recessed reset button. With the Roku powered on, press and hold the reset button for a minimum of 30 seconds. Not one second less. This resets the Roku to as shipped condition, and should allow you to start the setup from the beginning.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dcmille290
Level 8

Same problem here with a new Roku Streaming Stick +. I ran language setup, paired remote, searched for WIFI network, and selected mine, system checked off Green check mark for Wireless connection, and another for Internet Connection, then never left that window, just says checking. I can't do anything, nothing works, after 10 minutes system restarts and I do the same thing again. Reset several times, no help.

David

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@dcmille290

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Kate_1
Level 7

Thanks, it's helped me.

0 Kudos
dcmille290
Level 8

After letting the stick start and restart I finally set up a hotspot and it connected and downloaded current software and it works fine. The reason for this was due to the super weak signal on my Roku Premier +, now it shows full signal strength like it should the router is in the same room!!

It is powered by USB from back of TV.

David

0 Kudos
Alma62
Level 7

I was having the same issue with freezing, I plugged my Roku streaming stick into the wall rather than a power strip as I normally do.  I removed the plug from the wall and returned it to the strip…that completely solved my issue.  Thanks!!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Alma62,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Have you tried plugging the Roku device on a different HDMI port on your TV or a different TV, just to test and isolate the issue?
Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
mfcas
Level 7

I am having the same issue with a new, out of the box Roku Express. I’ve tried all the suggestions above—wall outlet vs power strip, hard reset, different hdmi port. The device is still frozen in the “Checking…” screen after the wireless and internet connection icons are checked off. 

0 Kudos
mfcas
Level 7

Replying to my earlier message: i ended up finishing the setup with a hotspot from my phone. This allowed for a software update (on a new Roku device?) to go through, after which point the Roku was able to connect to my home wifi. Not sure why it needed a hotspot to work when my home wifi is stronger…

0 Kudos