Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express Wireless connection issue

I got my kids Roku Express devices for Christmas. I am having issues with keeping them connected to my wireless. Every time the device restarts it will not reconnect to the wireless network. I have tried to reset the network settings and re-enter the information, but it will not reconnect. The only thing that has worked has been a factory reset, which requires a lot of re-setup. The device will then connect with no issue. This has happened on both devices.

The wi-fi in both rooms is strong and other devices in the room have no connectivity issues.
Device info:
3700x
8.0.0 build 4128-28

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku Express Wireless connection issue

What type.of network? Brand of router, speed of internet, etc.. have you tried rebooting your network equipment?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm using a Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE Access Point. I did try to reboot the AP with no success. It's odd. The Roku will connect to another wireless network, but will not go back to the original network. However, once I do a factory reset it connects immediately. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having similar problems with my Roku Express +. We went on vacation for 2 weeks and returned yesterday 12/31. I turned on the Roku and it would not connected to my WiFi. I used the menu to do a reset. That did not help. It would not connect. I finally did a factory reset and it immediately connected to my WiFi. 

It seems that this particular device (Roku Express +) has issues losing a WiFi connection and is unable to reconnect until after a factory reset.

I have 2 Roku Sticks and they have been working perfectly -- no connection issues. 

My WiFi is a Ubiquity Bullet-2 (192.168.2.20) --> Linksys LRT214 VPN router/gateway (192.168.2.1) --> ISP Modem to Internet. I have 2 iPhones, iPad, iMac, and 2 WiFi notebook computers that connect without problem.

I guess I'll just have to live with this, but it is annoying to have to wait while the device installs 60 Roku channels before I can use it after a reset.

My guess is there is some sort of firmware issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@devmrs @Ganthet @jeffrok 

Change your wireless 2.4ghz channel to ONLY connect with Wireless G, NOTHING else. Should work then.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It was set to B/G Mixed so I changed it to G Only. Crossing my fingers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

After I changed my WiFi to G Only, I went upstairs to the Roku Express +. It was no longer connected to my WiFi so I tried to reconnect. It would not connect. I tried a Network Reset. It would not connect. Did a Factory Reset and it immediately connected. Right now, it's going through the entire Setup process. Maybe this will be the last time I have to do this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@devmrs , should work. Weird though that yours had to do a reset. Mine worked without any reconfiguration. I just changed it and the said “restart device” (roku) And it came right back up.

let me know how it goes...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

One other note -- After the Setup Process finished, I tried to do a Network Test Connection. That fails BUT I'm still connected anyway. I've never been able to do a Network Connection Test after I'm connected. It has always failed and it still fails.

I can do a Network Test Connection on either of my Roku Sticks. That test is always successful!

I still think there is some sort of firmware issue with the Express +

0 Kudos