Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mg2635599
Level 7

Roku Eating 1 Gig An Hour

ood day,

i recently bought a second roku for the living room cause i've enjoyed the one in the bedroom so much. now the roku in the bedroom is set for 720p and i've monitored the bandwidth usage and it's been nominal. the roku in the living room is set to 1080p on a 4k tv and it seems to eat roughly 1 gig an hour. i understand that there will be more bandwidth on the 1080p setup but as big of a difference as it is should not be the case. in 54 hours we have use 54 gigs and the tv is off between 7pm and 4am. we have avoided downloading anything and only doing a few updates to get a better idea of what the roku is using in bandwidth. 54 gigs in 54 hours is outrageous  compared to our normal consumption.  i've included a image of usage over the past few months. when we connected the roku in the living room about 10 days ago for augest we had only use just over 400 gigs. after hooking up the roku i watch the bandwidth usage rapidly climb. please any suggestions on fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

https://i.imgur.com/PRaNkUz.png

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
mg2635599
Level 7

Re: Roku Eating 1 Gig An Hour

8 am on the 4th, so 80 hours into the new month and bandwidth usages is setting at 84 gigs. that OVER a gig an hour. really need someone from roku support to weight in on this. thanks
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

1G an hour is probably light... lighter than it is at my house.

When you consider:
Netflix/Amazon maintain a 'decent' bit rate for 1080p (some would argue they're 'bit rate starved' and sub-standard)... in the neighborhood of 3.5 to 4.5 Mbps. At my house when I encode at 3.7 (normally) the file size is about 1.7G per hour with the 5.1 audio track. A little heavier than your 1G an hour numbers.

There's no need for staff to figure out why and how 1080p is more costly on your cap than 720p.
You'd better be siting down if those 4K streams ever materialize. Bit rates of 80-120Mbps will stagger the imagination.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

I mean, there's a lot of factors, but 1-1.5gb per hour isn't unheard of for 1080p streaming.

EDIT:

A little googling about Netflix.  "Medium" which is 720 is roughly .7GB/hr streaming and high is 3GB/hr of streaming.  So yeah, using netflix, going from 720 to 1080 would vastly increase your bandwidth usage.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"twiceover" wrote:
I mean, there's a lot of factors, but 1-1.5gb per hour isn't unheard of for 1080p streaming.

EDIT:

A little googling about Netflix.  "Medium" which is 720 is roughly .7GB/hr streaming and high is 3GB/hr of streaming.  So yeah, using netflix, going from 720 to 1080 would vastly increase your bandwidth usage.

Yep, and if the title you're watching has a lot of action, those Netflix / Amazon encoders are really going to pump up the volume on the bit rates. They don't want any shenanigans downstream - like pixelation of the car chase scenes in Bullit (1968).
0 Kudos
mg2635599
Level 7

"DubTaylor" wrote:
1G an hour is probably light... lighter than it is at my house.

When you consider:
Netflix/Amazon maintain a 'decent' bit rate for 1080p (some would argue they're 'bit rate starved' and sub-standard)... in the neighborhood of 3.5 to 4.5 Mbps. At my house when I encode at 3.7 (normally) the file size is about 1.7G per hour with the 5.1 audio track. A little heavier than your 1G an hour numbers.

There's no need for staff to figure out why and how 1080p is more costly on your cap than 720p.
You'd better be siting down if those 4K streams ever materialize. Bit rates of 80-120Mbps will stagger the imagination.

1 gig an hour is not light by any means. i have had the roku in the bedroom for months and been monitoring the bandwidth usage and it's never been anywhere near i gig an hour. as i stated the difference between 720p and 1080p cannot be enough to explain the jump in usage.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Looking at bit rates in general - 1G an hour is Fischer Price rates, man. The low of the low. Some hardcore MakeMKV BluRay guys/gals won't even watch something that's been as much as 'breathed on' by an encoder - raw BD bit rates for 1080p can easily top 30Mbps - and yes that would be something like 30G an hour. Give or take a bit. A little bit.

You can't get 10 tons of cabbage on a 5 ton truck.
If you want to see a reasonable facsimile of 1080p you're going to have to pay the bit rate price for it - and Netflix/Amazon prices are already deep-discount. 

Really, if you look at it objectively and without any kind of bias - Netflix/Amazon 1080p bit rates are so starved, you might not even be able to tell the difference in 1080 and 720 and if you can you may not be able to justify the 1080p cost when you see the difference... there just ain't that much difference.

I recently added Netflix streaming to my DVD/BluRay package for a family member that doesn't care about the World's Worst UI. The 'basic' package. 480p. On a good Day. Looks fine to us (but we are a bit on the ancient side).
0 Kudos
ronfelder
Level 7

My question to the poster is if one isn't penalized monetarily or ones bandwidth isn't capped or restricted in anyway what's the difference how much bandwidth is being consumed? I'm with Verizon and use their FIOS service and though i don't have a 4K setup they don't care how much i use. Just asking. Are you being penalized in anyway?
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
mg2635599
Level 7

"ronfelder" wrote:
My question to the poster is if one isn't penalized monetarily or ones bandwidth isn't capped or restricted in anyway what's the difference how much bandwidth is being consumed? I'm with Verizon and use their FIOS service and though i don't have a 4K setup they don't care how much i use. Just asking. Are you being penalized in anyway?

rather phone or cable internet almost all of us have a cap. mine is 1 terabyte a month. as you can see from the chart my usage is usually nicely below that. now to DubTaylor[/url:4zwc9ca6] i'd like to lock this to 720p instead of the 1080p. as stated from a viewin...
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"mg2635599" wrote:
"ronfelder" wrote:

rather phone or cable internet almost all of us have a cap. mine is 1 terabyte a month. as you can see from the chart my usage is usually nicely below that. now to DubTaylor[/url:11glmj3o] i'd like to lock this to 720p instead of the 1080p. as stated from a viewin...

Well, there should be.
What happens if you force the 4k TV to 720 in the Roku Settings?
Can you force 720?

Note:
I just checked by Roku Ultra Settings - plugged into a 1080p TV - and the option for 720 does exist... you have to scroll a bit - 720 was not immediately visible.

Note 2: For my 1080p TV, ALL the various options for 4K Display appear (for what reason I can't imagine) - so I would be quite surprised and bummed, if you can't change to 720.
0 Kudos