Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kapqa12
Level 7

ROKU with Ethernet Capabilitiy (WIRED Mode)

Hello ,

i am planning to buy a ROKU device but would like to use the ROKU paired with a wired connection.

Could someone please post an exhaustive list of devices that have an Ethernet port or/and are compatible with Ethernet Adapters?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: ROKU with Ethernet Capabilitiy (WIRED Mode)

Exhaustive list:  Ultra models

There are some TVs with an Ethernet port, but you'd have to research that yourself.  There were TVs that were hit or miss with a USB Ethernet adapter.

Wikipedia will give you the information for old models that aren't manufactured anymore.

0 Kudos
kapqa12
Level 7

Roku TV set are not available in Europe (to my knowledge);

id be more interested in the Streaming Players as an alternative to Apple TV Box/Fire TV/Chromecast and was really hoping to get one with good Software and Ethernet port/or Ethernet capabilities.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@kapqa12 wrote:

Roku TV set are not available in Europe (to my knowledge);

id be more interested in the Streaming Players as an alternative to Apple TV Box/Fire TV/Chromecast and was really hoping to get one with good Software and Ethernet port/or Ethernet capabilities.

The only current Roku model with Ethernet is the Ultra (all models). But I'm not certain it's even available in Europe. I seem to recall UK users complaining it wasn't available there. As far as USB adapters, I've never heard of one working on a player. Only with some Roku TVs, as mentioned. 

Looking at older Roku players, the Premiere+ (4630) had Ethernet, but not the newer models with the same name. Personally, I wouldn't go with a model older than this, as the hardware has less power and you begin running into issues with the latest channels not working on them. 

Your other option would be to look at Android based players. Most of them have Ethernet, and the Nvidia Shield has Gigabit Ethernet. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
kapqa12
Level 7

Thank you,

i was thinking on Ultra aswell (investment for the future? as i don't own 4k-Tv), but found also one offer for Roku 2, which probably is model 4210R or something, and should also offer FullHD and Ethernet.

If is claimed to support FullHD, even a model from 3-4 years back should still be fine for the major channels that could interest me , like Amazon Prime, Gaia and others, or am i wrong in assuming this?

0 Kudos
kapqa12
Level 7

yes, those products are scarce here,

even Amazon Fire Box or Fire Cube is not sold officially on Amazon Europe (Italy, Germany) to my knowledge.

Only exception is Apple TV, but that i am not interested so much at the moment (although the 4k Apple Box seems a good package).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@kapqa12 wrote:

Thank you,

i was thinking on Ultra as well (investment for the future? as i don't own 4k-Tv), but found also one offer for Roku 2, which probably is model 4210R or something, and should also offer FullHD and Ethernet.

If is claimed to support FullHD, even a model from 3-4 years back should still be fine for the major channels that could interest me , like Amazon Prime, Gaia and others, or am i wrong in assuming this?

The Roku 2 (4210) is now 5 years old. It comes with an IR remote, but does support an optional WiFi Direct remote. It was a respectable player for its time. However, it's at the ragged edge for supporting the latest channels. Will it work for Prime Video? More than likely, but I can't say for how long. I have no idea what Gaia is, so can't speak to that. It will still work with channels such as Disney+ , but again, for how long? That's a 3rd generation device, while the current models are 8th generation. I wouldn't go with one so old unless it was all I could get. 

You can go back all the way to their first generation boxes and still have support for FullHD (1080p). So don't consider that as a benchmark for anything. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos