Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How to connect to a new network without the original remote?

A few months ago, the remote that came with my roku 3 stopped working. Instead of replacing it I just used the remote app. Last week I moved to a new apartment with a new modem, and now the app doesn't work because it's a different network. If I try to connect manually, it tells me I need my "roku device's IP address." No idea how to get that. It is apparently not the same as my actual IP address, which I tried using and failed. Anyone know how to get around this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: How to connect to a new network without the original remote?

It doesn't have an IP number until it connects to the router and gets assigned one .

If you can set your router to use the same network name (SSID) and password as your previous network your Roku should connect with it and be controlled by the Roku app on a device connected to the same net.

Otherwise, you'll need a remote that works with your Roku - what model is it? (Settings > System > About).
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Umm... without a remote he won't be able to get to Settings->System->About.  I believe there was only ever one Roku 3, so any cheap universal remote that states that it supports Roku will work.  They can sometimes be had at the dollar store.

Since it's a Roku 3, you may be able to use a wired connection and then possibly use the app if it successfully connects to your network.  Then try to connect to the Wi-Fi using the app as a remote.  My Roku 3 is sometimes stubborn about connecting through its Ethernet port without me bashing buttons on the remote, so getting a remote may be necessary anyway.

Highlighted
Level 17

@renojim wrote:

Umm... without a remote he won't be able to get to Settings->System->About. 

Oh, nuts.  I keep overlooking that obvious fact.  Keep holding my feet to the fire.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue did you solved it?

0 Kudos