Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ed123
Level 7

How do I change my rokus ip address from 192.168.1.3 to something else

The roku has stolen my ip cameras ip address after a power outage and it wants to stay on 192.168.1.3 and it wont move from there.Does anyone know how to do this?I cannot easily change the cameras ip address either so that is not an option.Unplugging the roku just keeps going on the same ip.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I change my rokus ip address from 192.168.1.3 to something else

Try resetting the network connection from Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Network connection reset.  Before you reconnect you should set up a DHCP reservation in your router for the Roku and probably the camera as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

The IP address is assigned by your router, and there's no way to change it manually in the Roku. Some routers will create a reservation the first time a device connects, so it always gets the same IP address. My Actiontec DSL modem/router does this. But most will not, so it's possible to get a different IP address every time a device connects. 

What you can do in almost all routers is create a IP address reservation manually. My Actiontec has a drop-down list of every device attached to the network, but you may need to get your MAC address and enter it manually. You can see your Roku MAC address on either the Network information screen or the System/About screen. Note that if your Roku has an Ethernet jack, there are two MAC addresses, one wired and one wireless. The MAC address is attached to the manufacturer of the network device, not the Roku itself, so I can't even say they all begin with a certain sequence. But they all are a group of six 2 digit characters. It's hexadecimal, so the only letters used are A through F. 

Once you have the MAC address for your phone and Roku, you can create an IP address reservation for them both, and they'll always have the same IP address. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ed123
Level 7

Thank you for the info,but I was afraid I may have to get into the brains of the netgear router again and that brings back bad memories,I was hoping that disconnecting the power from the router and the roku then plugging in the router and 1st and letting it connect to the ipcam 1st then plugging in the roku lastly would assign a different ip number for the roku but even though the port forwarding rule is assigned to the ipcam the roku kicks out the ipcam every time and take the 192.168.1.3 slot.We lost power momentarily and the router reassigned the .3 to the router,this is the 4th roku that did this, firesticks do not do this for some reason.The only reason I decided to try another roku is because spectrum cable has a roku app and the fire does not.I got rid of quite a few rokus because I have had this happen at 4 different locations and I used to swap rokus around all the time.Again I realize what you said that the router assigns the ip but I have only had this happen with roku for some bizzare reason firesticks seem more polite and don't steal another devices ip address,they respect the spot is assigned to the ipcamera and take an unused number.

0 Kudos
ed123
Level 7

Thank you,I tried that and it still steals the ipcameras address,it's apparantly a problem rokus have with devices that use port forwarding.I thought it was a problem with my older roku XS but this new express+ does the same thing

0 Kudos
atc98092

Have you tried the advice that @renojim provided, about resetting the Roku network settings? That stops the Roku from requesting any previously assigned IP address. If you camera connects to the network first, gets the .3 address, then the Roku comes online, the router should not be assigning .3 to the Roku, even if it asks for it, because it's already assigned to another device. Unless there's something amiss with your router, it should never provide a currently assigned IP address to a different device. The Roku can't "steal" the IP from another device. TCP/IP DHCP servers don't work like that. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ed123
Level 7

1st I unplugged the roku established the ipcam was back online (as soon as I unplug the roku the camera begins to work again) then on the roku I went into settings,network then I think it was cancel network then I had to search for networks then re-enter my password I then got the 2 green checkmarks and the roku was back online and cancelled the ipcamera and was back on .3

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ed123 wrote:

1st I unplugged the roku established the ipcam was back online (as soon as I unplug the roku the camera begins to work again) then on the roku I went into settings,network then I think it was cancel network then I had to search for networks then re-enter my password I then got the 2 green checkmarks and the roku was back online and cancelled the ipcamera and was back on .3

OK, connecting the Roku takes .3 away from the camera and the router assigns it to the Roku? There's something wrong with the router. That is not supposed to happen, and there's no way the Roku can cause it. The DHCP function in the router is not doing what it's supposed to. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ed123
Level 7

Thanks,I ordered another roku online and will try that before I replace the router,everything is working very well and with the 2 ipcams all set up and working I would have to try to learn a new modem which is to much for me right now.It's odd though that I'm only having a problem with the rokus and not the firesticks.I wouldnt be having to get a roku if spectrum had a firestick app.

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Is the IP camera itself hard-coded to use 3? If so, the router would have no idea that it's in use. Instead, you should check your router's DHCP settings and tell it to only offer addresses above 3. Maybe set it's range to something like 100-254. For example, my Asus defaults to 2-254.

DHCP.jpg

0 Kudos