Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Chicken
Level 9

Re: How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time

The other option is to disconnect Roku from the internet.  Roku chimps out completely when internet is disconnected, except it still happily consumes electrical power.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

Re: How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time

If you can turn something on with a remote control, it was never really "off". Something is running to allow it to respond to the remote. 

Did old Rokus have a power button? I don't remember that. Which one?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jeffrok
Level 12

"mikebdoss" wrote:
If you can turn something on with a remote control, it was never really "off". Something is running to allow it to respond to the remote. 

The Roku 4 did. That's the only one.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

"Iona-D" wrote:

I don't think either of you are drifting off topic when it comes to questions about the devices possibly ease dropping on you.  I have had those concerns ever since I invited my first laptop into my home. 

I do believe that it's the choice of individuals about how much personal information is shared online.  I treat my past and present devices (no matter what functions they perform) the same way.  On when I am using them and Off when I'm not.  They are like an window to the outside (virtual or real) world.  People usually have some sort of covering over their windows based on personal  preferences & choices to keep some things in (privacy, safety) and other things out (prying eyes, harsh sunlight). 

Same thing with electronic devices in living spaces.   Right this minute as I write this,, all of my streaming devices are turned off (at a glance, I always know those little devices are on or off completely).  My television is one of the dumbest HMDI TV around, It is set for OTA antenna use only running as background noise, and not on any of the the 3 HMDI ports at this point in time-thus not using any data bandwidth at present.   I have a "dumb" older house where no one could trip the listening mode on any streaming, or any other type of, device unintentionally.  I keep  Alexa, Siri, Google. Mircosoft,  and the rest of those ghostly assistants out of my house as they are not welcomed here.  Once in the while, I use Roku's voice search to find something that's too complicated to type.  When I want to, not when the device dictates to me what it wants.

If I do choose to use something, I have enough sense to limit it's "run of my house" to bare minimal access.  Not just ticking off something in Settings not really assuring me if my privacy is respected or not.  Again, these little 6 dollar switches do just that for sure.

I hate it when people assume I don't care about or know about privacy when I do crazy things like leave my Roku plugged in. I also hate it when people imply I don't have any sense because I have some other technology like an Alexa product. Maybe - just maybe - I've researched what they do and how they work, and have come to the conclusion that naysayers are paranoid and don't understand the tech at all, yet feel like they need to tell the rest of us we're the stupid or ignorant ones. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

"jeffrok" wrote:
"mikebdoss" wrote:

My 4 didn't have a power button that I can recall. My granddaughter is using it now, so I'd have to look at it again. But people also complained about the fan noise with a 4, and mine never made a sound. Maybe it was a 4+  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DiddlyD
Level 8

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"Iona-D" wrote:

I don't think either of you are drifting off topic when it comes to questions about the devices possibly ease dropping on you.  I have had those concerns ever since I invited my first laptop into my home. 

I do believe that it's the choice of individuals about how much personal information is shared online.  I treat my past and present devices (no matter what functions they perform) the same way.  On when I am using them and Off when I'm not.  They are like an window to the outside (virtual or real) world.  People usually have some sort of covering over their windows based on personal  preferences & choices to keep some things in (privacy, safety) and other things out (prying eyes, harsh sunlight). 

Same thing with electronic devices in living spaces.   Right this minute as I write this,, all of my streaming devices are turned off (at a glance, I always know those little devices are on or off completely).  My television is one of the dumbest HMDI TV around, It is set for OTA antenna use only running as background noise, and not on any of the the 3 HMDI ports at this point in time-thus not using any data bandwidth at present.   I have a "dumb" older house where no one could trip the listening mode on any streaming, or any other type of, device unintentionally.  I keep  Alexa, Siri, Google. Mircosoft,  and the rest of those ghostly assistants out of my house as they are not welcomed here.  Once in the while, I use Roku's voice search to find something that's too complicated to type.  When I want to, not when the device dictates to me what it wants.

If I do choose to use something, I have enough sense to limit it's "run of my house" to bare minimal access.  Not just ticking off something in Settings not really assuring me if my privacy is respected or not.  Again, these little 6 dollar switches do just that for sure.

I hate it when people assume I don't care about or know about privacy when I do crazy things like leave my Roku plugged in. I also hate it when people imply I don't have any sense because I have some other technology like an Alexa product. Maybe - just maybe - I've researched what they do and how they work, and have come to the conclusion that naysayers are paranoid and don't understand the tech at all, yet feel like they need to tell the rest of us we're the stupid or ignorant ones. 

I think it's important to remember this is a forum which allows people the freedom to express their option and ideas and should be without being subjected to criticism or being ridiculed by others.... which I believe or in most house rules. Lets agree or disagree civilly.  Have a nice day. 
Highlighted
jeffrok
Level 12

"atc98092" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:
"mikebdoss" wrote:

My 4 didn't have a power button that I can recall. My granddaughter is using it now, so I'd have to look at it again. But people also complained about the fan noise with a 4, and mine never made a sound. Maybe it was a 4+  Smiley LOL

You're right- no power button on the Roku 4, but there was a menu option for "auto power off" and a manual power off option in there. I never owned a Roku 4 so my memory was a little hazy about it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Iona-D
Level 10

For mikebdoss and others who feel this way, this is not what I meant in this or any other posting I done on this forum.  I simply started a rather unscientific experiment a little over a year ago to originally cut expenses in the non-vital areas of my life without too much loss.  On of which is entertainment.  My own Roku and other streaming device did deliver the goods.  This journey went in different directions that I really did not (or could not) anticipate.  I documented and commented pretty much on my own activities.   I don’t know anyone else personally here at all.  So why should I dictate how to live your online and offline lives? That’s rather crazy, don’t you think?[/font][/color]
[/size]
I gave the original (and later) Roku sticks and box a chance to do what they were designed to do-to only to a point.  Once they crossed over my threshold, they are subject to my wishes and whims just as long as I keep it legal.  Not Roku’s or anybody’s else business.  That simply means I do what I want (legally) with them as I PURCHASED them myself.  No one else sponsored me in this endeavor.    So if I feel that privacy & data usage is best controlled by turning them off when not in use pleases me, so be it.  
Done & The End.

I merely posted my findings or experiences in some posts.  Mainly in the event someone else will probably find themselves in the same or very similar problems that I faced during the past year exploring my Roku and their usage.  Because there is no more “cable guys,” in house visiting technicians, even some cable deity like the Goddess Theta (from the old Z Channel)  to save or help us when something Roku goes wrong.  All you reading this is or might be in the same boat eventually.  Reviews and even direct help from an concerned forum member helped me.  So I pass my observations to others now.

I am still exploring some all things Roku and other streaming devices.  From time to time I might choose to post these observations as well. Nothing more.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Chloeglow
Level 7

I don't have a "home " screen on the app on my cell. I don't have an actual real roku remote.

Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

Hi the Home button in the app (the button that looks like a house, top right corner). It'll take you to the home screen on your Roku. 

0 Kudos