Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different rokus on same TV freezing

I've had a Roku hooked up to my LG TV in my bedroom for a year with no issues. 3 days ago, it started freezing on the home screen, and would not respond to scrolling or channel shortcut buttons on remote, but would turn the TV on and off fine. It also wouldn't show network connectivity. I reset my modem/router and did not change. Connectivity is fine on other devices in the house. I swapped the roku for a brand new model, which worked fine, until I set up the wifi connection. Then it did the same thing and froze up and wouldn't continue to show connectivity. These same devices work fine when plugged into other TVs in the house. Is there something interfering inside my TV with the wifi connection? Or what else could it be?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 19

Re: Different rokus on same TV freezing

As a guess, during the HDMI handshake in which the Roku and TV exchange information about capabilities, the Roku is interpreting feedback from the TV as saying the TV supports a resolution (4K maybe) that the TV doesn't actually support.  So after the startup when the Roku switches its output to that unsupported resolution, the TV can't display it.

I'd suggest trying the Roku on another TV where things are working.  If it comes up okay, go into Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the actual resolution of the problem set instead of the "auto" setting.  When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option.  Now move the Roku back to the first set and see if it works.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos