Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Cannot change to slightly changes SSID name

Forgive me if this is a double posting:  I posted once, but did so before logging in and fear it may not have "taken".  Here it is.

I have a Synology RT2600AC router which was connected to the Roku and functioning perfectly.

In order to be able to discriminate between the 2.4GHZ and the 5GHz networks, I slightly changed one digit in each of their SSID names.  I changed one SSID so that it now ends in the numeral 2 and the other SSID so it ends in the numeral 5.

I went back to the Roku, deleted the old SSID name, input the new one, used the same password and the Roku keeps returning a big red X and won't connect. 

I reset the Roku and the problem persists.

I did a reset, unplugged the Roku, the TV, and the router, waited two minutes and turned them all on again:  still the problems persists.  The Roku 3 simply will not accept/recognize the slightly changed SSID name.  We are A B S O L U T E L Y sure we are inputting the correct SSID name and password.

I wish there were some pinhole on the ROKU into which one could insert a bent paper clip and do a complete reset as I suspect some cache continues to retain the old SSID settings and won't accept that new name.

Help, please.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Cannot change to slightly changes SSID name

@JiRuiFu  Thanks for the note here. A few more questions to help understand the issue more: 

- Have you tried using the option in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Network connection reset to reset your player's network settings, then try to connect again?

- Are you trying to connect to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz SSID when you encounter this issue?

- Do you see any specific error code displayed on screen when the connection fails? 

- Were there any other changes to your network, such as security features, settings, wireless broadcast channel, etc.?  

- To test, are you able to connect to another wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot? 

- Have you rebooted your router and ensured that there are no settings enabled that are blocking the connection, such as MAC filtering, ISP account security settings off-router, etc.?

- If you change the SSID name back to what it was, are you able to successfully connect again?

With more details, we can see what other suggestions we can make. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Cannot change to slightly changes SSID name

There is a small, hidden recessed button to do a factory reset. But before you do that, go into the Settings menu and look under advanced settings for a Network Reset function. Then try connecting to your WiFi again. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos