Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathew2018
Level 7

Can 3800R Stick handle 64 byte passwords?

Hello All: I just bought a Streaming Stick model 3800R that is currently on sale for Thanksgiving. My WiFi has a 64 byte (64 alphanumeric character) password. The Roku stick can see my network, but every time I enter the password to connect the stick during setup, it throws a 014.30 or 014.41 error and says the password may have been entered incorrectly.  I have been using an older 3600R model up to now, and that works flawlessly and accepts the 64 byte password. 
Bought the new one because it has on stick power button and volume control, and because it was on sale for Thanksgiving.I have tried to set up the new 3800R stick now perhaps a dozen times, and my Thanksgiving spirit is slowly ebbing thanks to the setup problems.
Any input will be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Can 3800R Stick handle 64 byte passwords?

"Mathew2018" wrote:
Hello All: I just bought a Streaming Stick model 3800R that is currently on sale for Thanksgiving. My WiFi has a 64 byte (64 alphanumeric character) password. The Roku stick can see my network, but every time I enter the password to connect the stick during setup, it throws a 014.30 or 014.41 error and says the password may have been entered incorrectly.  I have been using an older 3600R model up to now, and that works flawlessly and accepts the 64 byte password. 

Bought the new one because it has on stick power button and volume control, and because it was on sale for Thanksgiving.I have tried to set up the new 3800R stick now perhaps a dozen times, and my Thanksgiving spirit is slowly ebbing thanks to the setup problems.

Any input will be appreciated. 

I'm gonna ramble for a bit, but if anything I say triggers something, maybe that'll help.

There are 62 alphanumeric characters. 26 A-Z uppercase, 26 a-z lowercase, 10 0-9 numbers. And it's 64 characters long. That's 62 to the power of 64. That's a really big number. You could use a smaller number and be really really secure. A 10-character one has 839-quadrillion variations. An 11-character case sensitive alphanumeric string has 52-quintillion possible variations. So, 64 is a whole lot more. Not saying it shouldn't be 64 characters, just pointing out that a smaller password is still really secure.

A lot of alphanumeric characters look a lot alike and lend themselves to possible errors. 0 and O can easily be confused. 1 and l can look a lot alike. Even 5 and S can look similar when you're talking a lot of characters. Even 8 and B can be confused sometimes. Not to mention 6 and G, depending on the font or handwriting. 2 and Z can fall into this. So, there's that to keep in mind.

Sometimes, some devices are defective. If you have a secondary network, such as a guest network, with a simpler password you can turn on, that would allow you to test to see if the device will accept ANY password. Just a troubleshooting step, not proposing a solution. I mean, if you have a smaller password available and it won't connect there, it won't connect on the larger password. That would help rule in or out the device being defective.

Whether or not any of this rambling triggers any thoughts that lead to a solution, I don't know. You may be beyond the capabilities of the device.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Mathew2018
Level 7

DBDukes, thank you much for the input. I will try as you suggest, and temporarily disable router security and see whether the new Roku stick will connect. The 64 character password I use is auto-generated by my D-Link WiFi router. But, I can manually change it. Up to now, all my other devices (cell-phones, WiFi adapters/computers, my older model Roku stick) could handle the password without issues. But, you gave some good points - I should be able to manage with a lesser number character password and still avoid getting hacked. 
Also, it is a pain to punch in 64 letters and numbers using the Roku remote when setting up the Roku Stick. For other devices, I could simply copy/paste the password. 
Thanks again.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Mathew2018" wrote:
DBDukes, thank you much for the input. I will try as you suggest, and temporarily disable router security and see whether the new Roku stick will connect. The 64 character password I use is auto-generated by my D-Link WiFi router. But, I can manually change it. Up to now, all my other devices (cell-phones, WiFi adapters/computers, my older model Roku stick) could handle the password without issues. But, you gave some good points - I should be able to manage with a lesser number character password and still avoid getting hacked. 
Also, it is a pain to punch in 64 letters and numbers using the Roku remote when setting up the Roku Stick. For other devices, I could simply copy/paste the password. 
Thanks again.

If you can use a secondary guest network to test, rather than mess with your primary, then I'd suggest doing that. If you change your primary network password, and leave it changed, you'll have to re-enter it on every TV, phone, tablet, computer, toaster, everything. If you end up having to change it, okay. But, if not, you'd avoid that work.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Mathew2018
Level 7

DBDukes, thank you for the heads-up on password changes. Eventually, I got the new 3800R to work. I post it here, so that if there are others who may face the same predicament with long passwords will have some hints on how to get around it.
1] I checked on my password after DBDukes's very helpful suggestions on password length and complexity. My router generated password was actually a hexadecimal passphrase (0-9 and A-F) that was 64 characters long. If my calculations are correct, that comes to a 256 bit password? (64 hex = 32 bytes = 256 bits)?
2] Bottom line, the firmware that ships with the new Roku 3800R stick cannot handle passwords of that length. The previous Roku 3600R could.
3] I saved my 64 hex-character password to a USB key, and temporarily changed my router's password to a short 8 alphanumeric character password (minimal length allowed by my router).
4] Hooked up the new 3800R per Roku instructions that came with the box. This time, the 3800R recognized the network and accepted the new short password.
5] Once the Roku 3800R accessed their website and updated the hardware, and got setup, I changed my router's password back to the 64 character hexadecimal password (off the USB key).
6] The Roku stick immediately went offline, and then I did the Roku/wireless network signup all over again using the same SSID, but the old 64 character password.
7] This time, the 3800R accepted the longer 64 character password, and got connected.
8] Thus, it seems Roku 3800R stick can handle long passwords once the updated firmware gets downloaded into it, but the firmware that the 3800R were shipped out with (at least the stocks that were shipped out for the Thanksgiving holiday) cannot.
0 Kudos