Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UN_Rick
Channel Surfer

Re: All Apps Crash After A Few Minutes

Jump to solution

Same Issue, just started yesterday, model 4200X.

This appears to affect a wide variety of models and is affecting all of us simultaneously.

I tried the applicable steps on the page linked in the support reply, but no fix. Issue continues.

UN_Rick
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same Issue, just started yesterday, model 4200X.

This appears to affect a wide variety of models and is affecting all of us simultaneously.

I tried the applicable steps on the page linked in your reply, but no fix. Issue continues.

0 Kudos
JerKoz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I pulled a brand new Roku Express 3930x fresh out of the box that I had not setup yet. Plugged it in hoping I wouldn't be forced to do an OS upgrade, but unfortunately could not work past that screen w/o updating to the problematic v. 12.5.5 build 4174-AE. Regardless, I proceeded with the setup and that device also experienced the "3-minute crash" issue, but not until after it was rebooted. It seemed to work fine after the initial boot-up from the OS upgrade. At that time, I tested only with the Roku Live TV app. After the reboot, the 3-minute crash started.

So I went ahead and did a factory reset on that new device and set it up again from scratch. Tested with all of the following apps: (in order)

- Roku Live TV, Fox Local, Fox News (this one crashes consistently - will not load), local NBC affiliate (KARE 11), Amazon Prime Video, Peacock, and Spectrum.

I did the same on a second Roku player following the same sequence as described above. With the exception of Fox News, all have exceed the 3 minutes and none have crashed so far.

I have NOT however, rebooted either of these devices yet. Assuming if I do, the 3 minutes crash issue will return again. I will probably reboot at least 1 of them soon for additional troubleshooting before I proceed with the same steps on 4 remaining Roku devices that are also affected with the 3 minute crash problem.

Stay tuned (pun intended ... LOL)

JJCDAD
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Great work! I bet that's why my 4670x is working fine as I leave it always on. My 4800x was working fine yesterday morning, then started to glitch after I restarted it.

Dininonymous
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Roku support: In answer to your question, I have always had my Roku plugged into the main house power, not the TV itself. The power is definitely not the issue. Since it is happening across various devices but fairly simultaneously, it cannot be coincidence, and I'd like to know that Roku is looking into the problem and a solution -- is that the case?

So, my device shows it was just updated 1/25/24, and there is no more recent update available. Maybe the most recent update triggered something?

I literally tested it with at least 6 different apps (including the Roku Live TV app!), and all have the same problem -- while streaming, it crashes back to the home screen after 3 minutes. Specifically after 3 minutes. Not 2 minutes, not 5 minutes. So the problem is not with individual apps.

If I'm in an app's menu but not actively streaming, it does not crash. Only when I've been streaming for 3 minutes does it crash.

Roku, please investigate this on a system-wide level, let us know what's happening, and hopefully provide an update and fix.

So... what can you tell us about all this?

Dininonymous
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

FWIW, it seems as though this issue has happened before for others -- same 3 minute glitch, according to these threads:

Roku stops streaming after 3 mins - v12.5.0 build 4178-c2 - Sling, Tablo, Amazon, Hulu, Emby... Etc.... 

Roku Express keeps returning to Home Screen after 3 mins of streaming  

ALL channels except Netflix stop working after 3 mins 

There may be more, and whether any solutions fixed it or what they were is unknown. I suspect the update caused it and another update will fix it, but hope a Roku support team member will tell us something.

Sf211
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sounds like it was an update.  I went and plugged my Roku stick back in and now the TV won't reven recognize it!

JerKoz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Nice Job tracking down those other threads!! Thanks for sharing. I haven't read through all the comments on those threads yet, but at first glance, it appears this problem stretches back to September 2021 ... Yikes!!

I rebooted (via the Roku menus) one of the 2 Roku devices I am using for troubleshooting. So far (surprisingly) this one is still working. I expected it to be re-infected with the 3-minute bug after I restarted it. Note: I am powering this one from wall outlet.

Next I will reboot the other one that is currently powered from the TV USB port.

JJCDAD
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This has nothing to do with USB power source. My infected device is an Ultra which has to be plugged into 120v power. 

ctgriffi
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same crashing behavior is happening on our 3900X since yesterday! The unit is mounted on the upper left of the TV screen and has worked well in that position, consistently, for the last two years. However, now Prime and YouTube have the exact same problem: a video plays for a few minutes, then the Roku quits and immediately goes back to Home Screen. 

I read that heat may be an issue but after unplugging the Roku for a long while, it continues to do the exact same thing. (Note: No error messages appear and the Roku is on the latest software update.)

Please Help.