Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vlv
Reel Rookie

Re: Missing characters in text boxes

In September, Roku advised that this issue would be fixed in the next OS system update. It is now December, and we are still experiencing this issue. It is especially an issue whenever I use the following channel apps: Hulu, Paramount+, Peacock and occasionally Disney+ and Netflix. We have Roku Express and soundbars in our house and all of them have this issue.

While we appreciate that there is a workaround, using system restart, it's getting old and not at all what I expect from Roku. You can and should do better for your customers; it shouldn't take more than three months and counting to fix this.

So, when will this issue finally be fixed?

0 Kudos
bartcrowe
Reel Rookie

I might have stumbled upon a fix. I got the 9102R Roku Streambar and the missing text thing has been a problem for over a year and has gotten so bad that I have to reset my device nearly every time I switched apps. Then a couple of days ago I was messing with the layout options and reverted my home screen back to showing apps in rows of three instead of four because I find it more aesthetically pleasing. Anyway it's been three days and fingers crossed I have not had the missing character glitch happen yet. 

Basically I went to the Menu then under Home Screen I went to Tile Size and switched it from Smaller to Larger and it seemed to fix the issue so far. Now that I think back to it the problem started around the time of a Roku update that automatically switched my Home Screen to the smaller tile size. I'll let you know if it stops working but I really hope it fixes the problem because that would be hilariously stupid. 

0 Kudos
Ianmac11
Reel Rookie

I think I'm just going to switch platforms. I don't want a work around, I want the service I paid for. Goodbye Roku. You've had more than enough time to address the problem and have chosen not to. Speaks for itself 

0 Kudos
FooFoo
Binge Watcher

It seems that Roku is not willing to put much effort into resolving this problem.  That said, I am adding another tracker ID to this thread.    Additionally, I've noticed the channel icons on the home screen occasionally get garbled,  or are missing. 

20240104_125827.jpg  

0 Kudos
Sparklee
Binge Watcher

The pictures on the posts here are exactly what I am experiencing too EXCEPT....I use captions a lot not only because I am older than dirt but it helps with perhaps understanding a foreign film actor. When Roku is acting up with the missing text, it also affects captions either by being unreasonably blurred or missing text too. It happens on ALL channels with no particular one where it happens most. Sometimes it will stop for a couple of days, then start up again being ugly and rebooting has no affect in correcting itself.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @FooFoo @Sparklee,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We regret to hear about this, and we would be happy to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Please provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID). If done, please disregard.
  3. Troubleshooting steps you have taken to try resolving the problem.

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FooFoo
Binge Watcher

@RokuEuniceL 

Did you NOT read my post?   There is a screenshot with all the information.  This is a very long thread about an issue, and you respond as though it's the first time Roku has heard of it.  I apologize for ranting but canned responses to customer posts get old.

0 Kudos
Sparklee
Binge Watcher

@FooFoo     @RokuEuniceL 

I've noticed they do this quite a bit so thank you for ranting for me, FooFoo!

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @FooFoo, @Sparklee,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your feedback, and we apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. This was supposed to be resolved with the 12.5 update, but since the issue persists on your end, please allow us to escalate this to our appropriate Roku team once more to follow up regarding this issue on your end.

We have updated your information, and we have your details. Thanks for this update, @FooFoo.

Please provide the following information so we can forward your information and concern to the appropriate Roku team, @Sparklee.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FooFoo
Binge Watcher

@RokuEuniceL 

A couple of additional items:

As before, rebooting temporarily restores the text.

In Paramount+, when an ad is playing there is a text overlay in the upper left corner (something like Advertisement 1 of 3, for example).  This is also affected.

0 Kudos