Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColoradoLady
Level 7

what is Roku

Jump to solution

I really would like to talk to a live person.  I don't have the time go read all these post nor do I want to have to go to this link or that link.  before I go head first into your product I would like to speak to someone who can answer my questions as to what is Roku, what the difference is in the packages, if I need equipment.  I am not to tech savvy and don't understand everything that has been posted. It would really help if someone can explain everything so that I can understand. I have spent days looking at your site and I am no further along in understanding then I was when I first started.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: what is Roku

Jump to solution

@ColoradoLady 

Thanks for the post.

We would strongly recommend taking the time to read through our Support pages found here regarding Roku: https://support.roku.com/category/200889488

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
art33
Level 9

Jump to solution

Oh, my... honestly, it is a lot to expect someone to walk you through the steps.  Going to a Best Buy or similar store and talking to one of the salespeople can probably walk you through and answer your questions better and faster.  

Like you, I am not very technical.  I bought a Smart TV with built in Roku.  I think that is probably your best option because a new TV is pretty cheap, you can get one for about twice the price of just buying the Roku thumb drive thingy.  Some Smart TV's are now under $150, sometime even $100 if you catch a sale.  

With the built in service, you just use the remote to scan the over the air stations in your area and it will also scan cable if you are using that.  I use a homemade antenna and in my market that is enough to get over 40 stations.  Roku also offers a lot of additional channels.  Let me state a basic fact-- you need wifi/internet connection to get a Smart TV or remote to work.  So those additional channels like Peacock or Pluto or HBO Max (that will be an upcharge) use your internet connection to load on your TV.  

So  am fairly happy with my Smart TV using only my homemade antenna and my house wifi.  Some of the stations are glitchy, like Pluto tends to freeze and drop.  There are tons of options for you, some are paid channels and some are free.  You can select from a large menu you access with the remote.    Good luck!

0 Kudos
art33
Level 9

Jump to solution

PS-- your TV will work without wifi as a TV with the channels you scanned for over the air services, but if you don't have a wifi connection, your Roku will not be able to load any of the additional stations on the menu because those are getting streamed to your TV through your wifi.  Sometimes my wifi goes out completely but I can still watch TV, just not the premium or specialty free stations provided by Roku.  Over the air broadcasts will still play if you scanned correctly. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@ColoradoLady 

Thanks for the post.

We would strongly recommend taking the time to read through our Support pages found here regarding Roku: https://support.roku.com/category/200889488

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos