Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WWDubya
Level 7

"Blue Screen" problem with Streaming Stick+ in Sceptre TV

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've got new Streaming Stick+ and a blue "no signal" screen issue.  Here's the setup...

I've got a Sceptre TV model X435BV-FSR, which has the following specs:

- Display: 42.5 in, VA, LED, 1920 x 1080 pixels

- Refresh Rate: 50 Hz / 60 Hz

- 3 x HDMI 1.4 (ARC; CEC: MHL)

I plugged the Streaming Stick+ (Headphone Edition, version 3811) into one of the HDMI ports, powered using the adapter in a wall outlet. Here's what happened:

- The dancing ROKU appeared...

-I paired the remote...

-I was asked to select a language...

- the Roku said it would download the latest updates... which it did, and then...

- it rebooted and went to the blue "no signal" screen.

If I reboot the Roku (via unplug/replug, or by turning the TV off/on), I get the dancing Roku again for a couple of seconds, then the blue "no signal" screen.

My initial thought was that the TV was 720p while the Roku requires 1080p for anything after the standard-def dancing Roku logo. However, the TV display is indeed 1080p. So that should be fine.

Also, I'm given to understand that HDMI 1.4 is sufficient.  I presume that because I actually see the dancing Roku, and also had previously gotten the setup screens, then the HDMI port must be compatible, correct?

What else could be the problem? Any other TV settings or specs I should be aware of?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: "Blue Screen" problem with Streaming Stick+ in Sceptre TV

Jump to solution

Yes, HDCP 1.4 is sufficient for 1080.  It won't work for 4K.

As a guess, during the HDMI handshake in which the Roku and TV exchange information about capabilities, the Roku is interpreting feedback from the TV as saying the TV supports a resolution (4K maybe) that the TV doesn't actually support. So after the startup when the Roku switches its output to that unsupported resolution, the TV can't display it.

I'd suggest trying the Roku on another TV if you have one, especially if it has a working Roku.  If it comes up okay there, go into Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the actual resolution of the problem set instead of the "auto" setting. When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option. Now move the Roku back to the first set and see if it works.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, HDCP 1.4 is sufficient for 1080.  It won't work for 4K.

As a guess, during the HDMI handshake in which the Roku and TV exchange information about capabilities, the Roku is interpreting feedback from the TV as saying the TV supports a resolution (4K maybe) that the TV doesn't actually support. So after the startup when the Roku switches its output to that unsupported resolution, the TV can't display it.

I'd suggest trying the Roku on another TV if you have one, especially if it has a working Roku.  If it comes up okay there, go into Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the actual resolution of the problem set instead of the "auto" setting. When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option. Now move the Roku back to the first set and see if it works.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

WWDubya
Level 7

Jump to solution

That did the trick, makaiguy!  Thanks!

I'm pretty certain my TV doesn't support 4K, so if that's what the Roku thought the TV was telling it, it was sorely mistaken. Smiley LOL

Fortunately, on the second TV, it booted right into the Display Options screen and I could implement your fix.

0 Kudos