Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

new Roku Express + old TV = no video

Hello All - Just got rid of Tivo and bought a Roku Express for my old Phillips HD CRT TV.  It's a model 30PW8402/37 and when I plug in the roku I get sound (press home button and hear the home sound...) but no picture.  I setup the roku up on a computer monitor to 720p since I think the Phillips TV supports 1080i/720p -> thinking the 1080i might be the issue.  Anyhow - I'm out of ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: new Roku Express + old TV = no video

I am assuming you have the Express+ 3910 with analog outputs. With analog, there are of course three cables, red, white and yellow connections. You probably know this, but red and white are audio and yellow is video. I've seen some TVs with very poor labeling on their jack panels. It's possible you have the audio cables connected to one input, while the video is connected to a different input. Take a close look at the set and make sure the audio and video jacks are all for the same input.

Of course, if your TV only has one set of inputs, then this wouldn't be the case. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for your rely.  I have Roku Express - not the plus.  The TV has one hdmi input and I’m using that.  I just got it to work by reconnecting it, setting display to Auto and cycling though the sources.  The color is a bit off, but it works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Okey dokey. Yes, those older non-1080p sets can be a real problem sometimes getting the Roku to recognize the set needs 720p. It's almost always the fault of the TV reporting inaccurate info in the EDID handshake.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos