Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSS1
Level 7

Using a Roku product to replace my Xfinity cable box/DVR

Good afternoon, 

We're under contract with Xfinity for Internet and cable. We presently own 2 Roku streaming sticks that work well with 2 of our TVs. Our third TV is connected to an Xfinity cable box/DVR that is costing us $15/month. I'd like to return the cable box/DVR to Xfinity and replace it with a Roku product. 

Someone once told me that we need to have a cable box in our home. I'm not sure if this is true but I'd like to confirm that we don't need it before I purchase anything. 

Assuming that we don't need to have a cable box in our home, which product do you suggest that we purchase to replace the cable box. 

Thank you in advance for your input. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Williamt100
Level 11

Re: Using a Roku product to replace my Xfinity cable box/DVR

I once had a similar arrangement with Comcast/Xfinity for many years -- Internet, Cable TV and VOI Phone.

I cancelled the Cable TV and VOI Phone, and just continued Xfinity Internet service for my (then) 2 Roku devices without any issue.  I did NOT need the cable box, only a cable modem in order to keep the Internet service.

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Using a Roku product to replace my Xfinity cable box/DVR

@MSS1 wrote:

Good afternoon, 

We're under contract with Xfinity for Internet and cable. We presently own 2 Roku streaming sticks that work well with 2 of our TVs. Our third TV is connected to an Xfinity cable box/DVR that is costing us $15/month. I'd like to return the cable box/DVR to Xfinity and replace it with a Roku product. 

Someone once told me that we need to have a cable box in our home. I'm not sure if this is true but I'd like to confirm that we don't need it before I purchase anything. 

Assuming that we don't need to have a cable box in our home, which product do you suggest that we purchase to replace the cable box. 

Thank you in advance for your input. 

It depends on the services you desire from Comcast without their box. If you desire to continue receiving some or all of the current channels you receive from Comcast, they do offer an Xfinity app/channel for Roku devices. However, I do see lots of user complaints with it. No Roku device of any kind has a DVR function, so you can't replicate that with a Roku. But using something like an HDHomeRun might work.

If all you desire is to drop the TV and continue your Internet connection via Comcast, you won't need a cable box but you do need a cable modem. You probably have one now that you either rent from them or it's considered "included" with your Internet access. That might change if you drop TV service. When I assisted my sister-in-law with returning her cable box, she already had the cable modem, and continued using it. Comcast said she couldn't keep the same Internet speed as she had with TV service, but that wasn't an issue for her. She still has about 75 Mbps, which is more than enough for online services. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos