Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Stuck on setup roku express

Setting my Roku express up and it freezes after giving me the green check marks for wireless connection and internet connection. I have reset it multiple times and tried again with no change can anybody help?? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Stuck on setup roku express

Some users that have encountered issues with initial setup have been successful using an alternate Internet connection. This is usually done with a cell phone hot spot, but some have simply used a friend's or neighbor's home to complete the setup. After it's done, they have been successful connecting to their home network without issue. 

Does that make sense? Not really. But for whatever reason, it appears to work for almost everyone. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thank you. I'm trying to use my hotspot because we don't have internet service. So pretty much it's just that connection to my hotspot  isn't going to work? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Well, it certainly should. Are you certain your cell account has a hotspot plan enabled? That could explain a successful connection but not be able to actually reach the configuration server. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It is supposed to yes but I will double check. But you said I could do the setup somewhere else and then it might work normally with my hotspot connection? Is that what you were saying? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Yes, you could take your Roku to another location that has Internet WiFi, and attempt to complete the setup from there. This could be the home of a friend or family member that has Internet and a TV you can use. There's no reason it has to be on your own personal network during setup. It just needs Internet access and you need a valid Roku user account. 

Dan
0 Kudos