Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BALACO
Level 7

Stop Roku Narrating

Roku all of a sudden started giving descriptions after each button click. It is very annoying to hear a description of every pick. HOW DO I ELIMINATE AND STOP THIS FROM CONTINUING? PLEASE HELP!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Stop Roku Narrating

You try pressing the option * key 4 times. 

If you don't want that to happen again you turn off the shortcut, which is pressing * 4 times to turn it on, and off, so go into the settings> accessibility> scroll down to shortcut> disable

Edmund
0 Kudos
BALACO
Level 7

Okay, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how it went. Thanks,

0 Kudos
Melané
Level 7

Hi, 2 days ago my ROKU tv's (2 of them) started voice over description on only on station. I have clicked 4 time, didn't help. I have gone to Settings, Accessories, Sound Guide - it says it's off. This is driving me crazy. I don't know how to make it stop! Any hep would be WONDERFUL!  Thanks  Melané

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@Melané wrote:

Hi, 2 days ago my ROKU tv's (2 of them) started voice over description on only on station. I have clicked 4 time, didn't help. I have gone to Settings, Accessories, Sound Guide - it says it's off. This is driving me crazy. I don't know how to make it stop! Any hep would be WONDERFUL!  Thanks  Melané

Sound guide narrates Roku menus and button pushes.

I think you're getting narration that tells you what is going in the program being viewed, right?  This is from playing an alternate audio track for the program, which has this narration added for the benefit of the sight impaired.  This either has gotten turned on in your settings for this channel, or the channel itself is screwing up and sending the wrong audio track. 

If you tell us what channel is involved, and a program that exhibits the problem someone familiar with that channel should be able to tell you how to access that setting.  Unfortunately many channels set up their controls differently so there's likely no single menu path that will work on all channels.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos