Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shawrco
Level 7

Sony WEGA KV-30HS510 to Roku Express

Saw one other post Re: older SONY WEGA tv connection to Roku and advice was to get a new TV! Like that poster, I don't want to scrap this TV just yet. Subject TV is 1080p capable HD but has no HDMI ports. It does have a DVI + audio port as well as component video (YPbPr/audio L/R) and composite video inputs. I purchased a DVI/HDMI adapter but got no video/audio at all. I recall that DVI doesn't support audio, but I thought I'd get video at least.

So, I'm looking for advice on a converter box to connect between the Roku and TV to get best quality picture possible... Thanks in advance.

[post moved to appropriate board]

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Sony WEGA KV-30HS510 to Roku Express

I won't make any hardware recommendations, as it could be hit or miss. If you use Amazon, then you have a reasonable return option if one doesn't work. 

Correct, if you convert HDMI to DVI you get video only from the DVI connector. To get audio, you must have a box that takes the HDMI input and provides both the DVI out and separate audio out. I've never known a TV to have an optical audio input, so make sure the HDMI-DVI converter has analog audio out, i.e. the red and white RCA connections. You might also search for an HDMI-Component out converter, since you also have component jacks. But the problem you could run into there is the HDCP content protection scheme. That might be what blocked your HDMI-DVI cable from providing an output as well. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Shawrco
Level 7

Thanks for the response. I have a converter box with the red/white audio out. I get the video but no sound; still fiddling with the TV setup menu. Also have a Panasonic surround sound a/v box but still not making sound. Simplest solution probably the Roku with component video connection. Thanks again
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Many of the converters I've seen advertised had some sort of way to configure the output. DIP switches or something like that. Perhaps you can experiment and find a setting. Also, make sure you've not set to Auto Detect in the audio out on the Roku. Almost no TV supports DTS, and DD+ is also unlikely to be supported. Your Express can't convert DD+ to DD, and since most streaming sites are now using DD+, that also could explain why you aren't hearing anything. You might set the Roku to PCM-Stereo and see if you get sound now. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Shawrco
Level 7

Thanks, I'll check those settings out. Hopefully it will help get the audio. Previously I had tried the DVD-I/HDMI adapter plug and got nothing at all. Making some progress.

0 Kudos