Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tepeteicca
Level 7

Roku does not have direct tv as a cable provider?

Jump to solution

During Roku Express set up I’m asked to provide my cable provider. My cable provider is Direct TV; yet there is no choice for Direct TV? WhT is going on with Roku?  They have the Direct TV App, but yet do not support Direct TV as a Cable Provider?  What don’t I know?  Is the Roku useless for Direct TV subscribers?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku does not have direct tv as a cable provider?

Jump to solution

@Tepeteicca  Thanks for reaching out with this question. The good news is, the new device setup flow asks these questions to help you locate relevant channels, however, this does not impact your ability to use your TV provider to authenticate or log into channels that use this feature. This is simply a feature to assist in your setup.

You can still install any number of channels that are traditionally available via cable/satellite, such as HGTV, MTV, VH1, ABC, etc. and use your TV provider account credentials to log into these types of channels, when supported by the channel provider. Each streaming channel that allows TV provider authentication manages their own relationships independently with each TV provider, and chooses whether or not to allow users to authenticate their channel with that cable/satellite/TV subscription/service. You'd want to reach out to your TV provider directly if you have any additional questions, or follow up with any specific streaming channel provider for more information about supported TV providers. 

I will share your feedback with our team though regarding seeing DirecTV as an option during out setup flow.

Thanks,

Tanner 

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

ATT bought Directv?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tepeteicca
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes - AT&T purchased them several years ago; however they (Direct TV) remains it's own brand under the AT&T Umbrella; however, on Roku - Selecting an AT&T cable provider does not support Direct TV on the Roku and as there's no Direct TV Option, what I'm gathering is simple....Roku does not support a Direct TV "Cable" subscribers; hence, if you have Direct TV - there's no place for you in the Roku world.  That's about the best I've been able summarize.  I'd like to be wrong, can someone help me be wrong? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

Directv app is called ATT TV, and in the last couple of days ATT has split with Roku, you can't add ATT NOW anymore. Anyways its up to the app owner what providers are allowed, has nothing to do with Roku.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tepeteicca
Level 7

Jump to solution

Understood - and back to my original summation - Roku does not have Direct TV as a cable provider as I'm presuming AT&T and Direct TV as a sub-brand have decided for whatever reason not to provide the necessary support or services to Roku to host / operate their app within the Roku world....So for Direct TV Subscribers - there's no real room in the Roku world - regardless as to who's decision it is / was to turn out this way.  It's out of my control, it's out of your control and ultimately AT & T is the one most likely rejecting Roku for whatever reason....I tend to believe most of these reasons have to do with money...but with a Gigantic Corporation like AT & T ----- they could also make the same decision regardless as to money --- because they're simply big enough to do so --- end user be **bleep**.  Bummer for me and all the other Direct TV Subscribers....I called Direct TV already and voiced my belief this will directly affect their sales/retention - because they'll be losing at least me soon as a customer - I'm sure many others will follow; yet again - AT & T being so large....I'm sure they could careless in the big picture - heck - they may even be trying to destroy the Direct TV Brand - in order to launch something re-branded and new even more in their direct control....Bummer for us - Johnny **bleep** ConsumerSmiley Sad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

I was Directv subscriber for 16 years what stopped me was moving to an apartment with no line of sight. This was 2012, I was a Tech Know Guide on Directv own forums answering remote questions. They were very different company then, we had are own forum to speak directly with higher ups the Guides did. I was under a new contract and they wanted $340 to quit, a little mention to my friends and it was wiped clean. Att wouldn't do that today.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Tepeteicca  Thanks for reaching out with this question. The good news is, the new device setup flow asks these questions to help you locate relevant channels, however, this does not impact your ability to use your TV provider to authenticate or log into channels that use this feature. This is simply a feature to assist in your setup.

You can still install any number of channels that are traditionally available via cable/satellite, such as HGTV, MTV, VH1, ABC, etc. and use your TV provider account credentials to log into these types of channels, when supported by the channel provider. Each streaming channel that allows TV provider authentication manages their own relationships independently with each TV provider, and chooses whether or not to allow users to authenticate their channel with that cable/satellite/TV subscription/service. You'd want to reach out to your TV provider directly if you have any additional questions, or follow up with any specific streaming channel provider for more information about supported TV providers. 

I will share your feedback with our team though regarding seeing DirecTV as an option during out setup flow.

Thanks,

Tanner 

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fonebone1
Level 7

Jump to solution

Today, Feb 8, 2020, I have been trying to set up streaming of AMC and BBCAmerica.  Everything is great until it asks for my tv provider. I choose Directv.  It WILL NOT login to Directv. It says the user name/password combination is wrong.  It's the same combination I use to login to Directv.com for other purposes.  ATT, and Directv have been unable to help...3 1/2 hours on the phone moving from tech person to tech person. 

0 Kudos