Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaycorb
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick Setup with Mitsubishi 249 Series TV

I have an older model Mitsubishi TV that has 4 HDMI ports.   I currently have an old model Apple TV connected and it works fine.   I recently tried to add a Roku Streaming Stick since I want to be able to download new channels.    The Mitsubishi model LT-46249 (249 Series) has a device recognition feature. When I plugged in the Roku stick, it brought up the new device found window with only choices of DVD and Blu-Ray.  I selected DVD to see what would happen and the Roku screen was displayed behind the setup screen rather than listing the input selection.   At that point I had no control over the TV when using the TV remote.   I had to remove the Roku Stick and power cycle the TV to get it to respond.

I'm wondering if the older model TVs do not work with the Roku sticks and require a Roku device that has an HDMI cable instead.   Is this a possibility?   I'm certain on of the Roku devices would work if the Apple TV works. 

Appreciate any help figuring out how to get a Roku device to work with this TV.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Strega
Level 15

Re: Roku Streaming Stick Setup with Mitsubishi 249 Series TV

According to the manual, after you select the device type, you press "back" to continue.  Did you do that?

0 Kudos
jaycorb
Level 7

I have no control over the TV once I select the device type so the back button isn't operational.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

You might see if there is a firmware update available for the TV.  It seems like it simply crashed.  A little searching around found a document on HOW to update the firmware for that TV, and I found a forum thread where someone did it, but I didn't find the actual firmware files. Unfortunately, the forum thread is from 6 years ago and the link given there no longer works.

BTW in response to the question about age of TVs, mine is from sometime in the 2008-2010 range and works fine.  I think this is just some kind of firmware bug rather than an age issue.

Also, I suppose you could try the other device types (Just blu-ray I guess?) and see if any of them don't crash. At least Blu-ray would be HD, so the TV might be less confused by that choice.

0 Kudos