Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dick2
Level 7

Roku 3 sd card

Put in an sd card that meets all specs.......never got the format prompt. Can't really tell if it is recognized or used.  Appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3 sd card

Go to Settings->System->About and it will show whether it's installed.  If it shows "not installed", ensure the card it inserted fully.  I believe it should be flush with the case when fully inserted.  Also, try restarting your Roku 3 from the settings menu or just unplug the power for a few seconds and plug it back in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dick2
Level 7

Thanks....you got me to settings>about and that showed the card was not installed. Put card in and out, powered down and up, all several times.  No joy...card still 'not installed'.

I can read and write the card in my computer. It is FAT32.

I guess that leaves the Roku 3 box itself with a problem? Software is up to date.

**bleep**

0 Kudos
dick2
Level 7

Searching this topic, this seems to be a very common problem for Roku 3. Roku should acknowledge the problem and not make us waste so much time.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@dick2 wrote:

Searching this topic, this seems to be a very common problem for Roku 3. Roku should acknowledge the problem and not make us waste so much time.

Well, depending on which model of Roku 3 you have, it's either 5 or 7 years old. It could just be dust in the slot, or yes it could be a hardware problem. But you aren't losing much without having the card installed. It doesn't make the Roku any faster or perform better. It simply expands the storage space for channel installation. Unless you have a lot of different channels that you regularly use constantly, you'll never notice any difference. And if you do have to download the channel again to run after not using it for some time, you're only talking about 10 seconds or so to re-download the code.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dick2
Level 7

Fair enough. I never missed it until I got a message saying I should put it in and it does work as you say.

I'm good. Thanks.

**bleep**

0 Kudos
abreuma677
Level 7

Same for me and my Roku 3. Bought a 4GB card and tried it without luck. Bought the 2GB card directly from Roku and still no luck. It's not dust in the slot because the slot is covered by the HDMI connector. I echo the previous advice - don't bother adding an SD card if you have a Roku 3.

0 Kudos
vendo
Level 7

well i got a 32 and it doesnt work in my 3 either..

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@vendo

Thanks for the post.

Customers have reported that using a smaller SD card size (2GB - 4GB) works best.

When using a SD card, make sure to format the card first, and to insert the card in the correct orientation. A very common issue with SD cards have been that the SD cards are not being completely inserted into the SD card slot.

For more information about how to use a SD card with your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I increase memory with a micro SD card?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos