Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeJ
Level 7

One HDMI port

My Toshiba television has one HDMI port. How can I both keep HDMI reception and add the Roku stick?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: One HDMI port

Not sure what you mean by "HDMI reception", but to add more ports to a TV, an HDMI switcher can be purchased.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
JoeJ
Level 7

"JoeJ" wrote:
My Toshiba television has one HDMI port. How can I both keep HDMI reception and add the Roku stick?

I meant: how can I use both the cable for television HDMI and also use the Roku stick if there is one HDMI port?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... DMI+switch

I recommend one with a remote control to switch inputs. The automatically switching ones can work for you if your cable box turns off completely, but they are hit or miss.

-JT
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

Does your cable box have an HDMI input? Modern cable boxes do.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"apodtele" wrote:
Does your cable box have an HDMI input? Modern cable boxes do.

Maybe cable companies disable that input.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

Yeah, you need an HDMI switchbox, unless by some chance you have an A/V receiver that accepts multiple HDMI inputs. If so, you could use that to switch between inputs.

Does your TV have other inputs that you are not using? Like a component in? You could get a box to convert the HDMI to component video and L/R stereo audio. That would still be good quality. Search for "HDMI to Component" to see what options are out there. (Not "Composite" by the way. You want component where the video is on three RCA cables.)
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

"MattFromPhilly" wrote:
Yeah, you need an HDMI switchbox, unless by some chance you have an A/V receiver that accepts multiple HDMI inputs.

A sub-$300 modern receiver by Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, or Onkyo usually has 4 or more HDMI inputs. That is not just a fat chance, but a way to go.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"apodtele" wrote:
"MattFromPhilly" wrote:
Yeah, you need an HDMI switchbox, unless by some chance you have an A/V receiver that accepts multiple HDMI inputs.

A sub-$300 modern receiver by Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, or Onkyo usually has 4 or more HDMI inputs. That is not just a fat chance, but a way to go.

While I agree with going to an AVR, don't forget you have to add in the cost of speakers as well. With sub-woofer, expect another few hundred to complete the system. But in my opinion, worth it.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos