Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mickkassem
Level 7

Old TV with DVI input

One of our TV's is very old but works perfectly with cable. It is an Olivia KT27HVX LCD display. We run a DVI cable from the box to the TV currently. Picture is good. We are dropping cable in early December and going to use YouTube TV as the alternative. The TV has DVI, S video, component and composite inputs. What would be the best Roku and the hookup (reasonable expense) to get a very good picture? The TV is old but fits perfectly in its current location.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
andyross
Level 13

Re: Old TV with DVI input

It may work if it also support HDCP, which it probably does if you used DVI with the cable box. One issue will be the audio. Most Roku's do not have separate audio outputs. I think you could use the Express+, with an HDMI/DVI adapter for the video, and the analog audio as an input, assuming the Express+ will always output analog A/V when HDMI is active. Or you could get some form adapter that converts the HDMI to something else, although it could be cheaper to just find another TV that fits.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

One thing to be very cautious about with those older TVs is the resolution they support. Many of the old sets with DVI connections only accept 1080i, and no current Roku can output that. They also may not support 720p, in which case no Roku will work on your TV. Since almost every Roku only has HDMI outputs, and only support 720p, 1080p and 2160p (4K), they won't work on a display without such support. And there are few if any other devices available today that would work either. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
mickkassem
Level 7

I bought the 3910RW. Unplugged tv and plugged HDMI end of DVI cable from TV into Roku. Plugged the sound cables into TV from Roku. Everything worked except there is a reddish pink screen over everything. Probably not a fix - right?
0 Kudos