Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No Activation Code After Resetting the Roku device.

Jump to solution

I got a roku streaming device that has been tied up to my internet service provider. They are the ones that activated the device for me and they did not provide me any roku account. I stopped using the services of my ISP and wanted to setup the roku device in my open account. I created a roku account, reset the device using the pinhole reset button twice and and also tried reseting it using the remote control. It went through the setup process but did not display any activation code that I can use for me to link the device to my account.

Thanks for your help. 

-PPA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: No Activation Code After Resetting the Roku device.

Jump to solution

@Perfz2per 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that if the Roku device was provided by your cable or internet provider, you will need to contact them directly for further assistance.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Perfz2per 

Thanks for the post.

What Roku device do you currently have that was supplied to you by your ISP? Can you provide us a photo of the device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Danny, 

ISP is PLDT, one of the ISPs in the Philippines. Please see attached images. IMG_20200528_034305.jpg

IMG_20200528_034245.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Perfz2per 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that if the Roku device was provided by your cable or internet provider, you will need to contact them directly for further assistance.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Can’t get past activation screen

Jump to solution

I am trying to set up my Roku express. It should, by all accounts, have worked. I have gone through the whole process Of putting in the link code and doing preferences repeatedly now and yet the TV will not budge from the “activate your roku” screen. 

it will however every so often tell me to get a new code. The app says I have a connected device, I’ve powered It on and off, I’ve done a factory reset and nothing . . . . 

Any idea what’s causing this and why it won’t just work? 

Highlighted
Level 7

Can't get past the activation screen. Awful signup UX.

Jump to solution

I have so far created 2 different accounts for my new Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)   and still can't get past the activation screen. With the first account, the stick insists that the email address doesn't work (which it does) and on the second, it just keeps hanging waiting for me to finish account activation (which I have).

Frustrated beyond words at this point. Why is there no easy way to link with an existing account? How many more accounts am I going to have to make before one actually works?

Why is there a ReCaptcha on literally every page of the signup process? If you don't use Chrome and stay signed into Google, Google loves to make those take minutes every time. Maybe just use the ReCaptcha on the first page if you insist on selling out your users to Google.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Can't get past the activation screen. Awful signup UX.

Jump to solution

Went ahead and created a third account through the device, following the activation email and going through all the steps (and captchas) yet again with the same result. No activation. The stick is a paperweight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Can't get past the activation screen. Awful signup UX.

Jump to solution

I guess 4 tries is the charm. Maybe put that in the quickstart manual so that people know in advance how many times to sign up.

For the record, on the fourth try, Google made me solve 5 different puzzles for their AI. Feels good to contribute to evil.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I CANNOT believe the inept response I’m reading to the hundreds of posts regarding this same issue!  Contact your provider? Perhaps a company could stand behind their freaking product!   I’ve activated at least 30 Roku for myself, friends and family, and never had an issue.  Two days ago I replaced 2 older Roku in a guest house and started the activation process.  I entered my email and clicked the link which told me to enter the code on my screen. Sadly, there is NO CODE ON MY SCREEN. I have factory reset the Roku, restarted my router to no avail.  So I took the second one out of the package thinking one must have an issue.  Sadly, the exact same issues reoccurred.  Just so you know, I activated one about 6 weeks ago and there was no email link.   You activated through Roku.com.  I’ve never had a problem with that process.  Perhaps the moron who came up with the idea of the email can reset it to the previous process.  Also, Roku can stop blaming loyal customers for their incompetence!  That would be SUPER!  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

I've never seen the email activation process, but I was under the impression that it works like this:

1. The Roku setup screen asks for your email address
  2. You enter it and click OK or whatever
  3. The screen changes to something like "Check your email" and just waits
  4. You get an email from Roku with an activation link
  5. You visit that link and the setup screen automatically proceeds and everything is hunky dory

What part of that is incorrect?  At what point does it ask for a code?  Can you post pictures of the process?

0 Kudos